Krag or Winchester-Lee

Dirk

Found these photos on-line and trying to ID if these Marines are armed with Krag's or Winchester-Lee Rifles. Can anyone ID them from the images provided. Thanks!

IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3290.JPG

Marchville1918

I believe that I can make out the suspenders used with the Mills belt for the Lee rifle on several of the men. I think that the Lee was the standard rifle for that period for the Marines. Pretty hard to tell.

The Krag has a straight stock and the rifles in the top photo appear to have a semi pistol grip which is indicative of the Lee. The top of the rear receiver also forms a higher hump on the Lee and I believe I see that on the rifles too. I think the rifles are Lees as the others have concluded.

I say Lee as well - but besides that, I have to say what a great picture the first one is. You don't really see Boxer Rebellion photos that aren't posed, this one is a real eye catcher, at least for me! Was there more where these came from?

Sadly not of Marines....many of the Legation Quarter and a number have been published from this series, but like you say that first one is not posed. You can see the dust on the one Marines uniform. I wish I knew if they were Defenders or a part of the Relief Force

RustyCanteen

The first photo definitely appears to feature Lee's. You can see what appears to be the magazine protruding from the bottom of the stock.

RC Thank you for weighing in....I think that adds to the consensus...given all the clues everyone spotted....now I wish I knew if they were part of the Relief Force or not.

Great image, I too wish an exact date could be pinned down as far as relief force versus defenders as they are wearing coats versus shirts.