Cartridge Show critique & some cool pics

usmce4

Cartridge collecting doesn't seem all that big these days. We had an annual show here in PA last weekend and it had 75 or so tables. Although the dealers came from as far north as Maine and as far south as North Carolina at the time I was there I think there were maybe two other collectors (dealers however were dealing among themselves) searching for additions to their collections. - The strange show hours I'm sure didn't help: 10 - 6 Fri & 8 - Noon Sat.

While there was great variety, there was no one item that seemed to have more than one dealer who specialized in it, but conspicuous by it's absence was much WWII stuff (which is my cup of tea). There was only one dealer with anything to speak of, and all he had was fairly common open and sealed boxes of .30 carbine, .45 & '06 (nothing more exotic than AP & Tracer) and his prices were way far beyond outrageous. Nobody had any .50s - I was told the dealer who specialized in those didn't show up.

I had some boxes of '06 APIs with me as trading material and nobody even knew what they were.

I'm just wondering if Cartridge collecting is doing better (or worse) in other areas -- any comments?

While I'm at it here are a couple of pics of stuff that might have tempted me if I had any way to get them into my house and keep them without my Wife ever discovering them. - The yellow one is a German 88, the real pointy one is a US 90mm Tank round and next to it is a standard US 90mm the two 81mm mortars laying on the table are super clean missing only the primers and main charges.

Art

post-168413-0-34283200-1566252882_thumb.jpg

post-168413-0-35414700-1566252883.jpg

Strange combination, cartridges and ordnance. Ordnance collecting on a tear, prices getting prohibitive. Cartridge collecting doing well also, especially WW2 dated rounds...big difference between the two, an original WW2 dated clean box of M2 brings $25-30, whereas a WW2 dated, original paint 90mm M71 $350 plus...both areas still popular and getting harder to find.

US Military Guy

It is great that things are priced. I always feel the dealer "evaluates" me before telling me the price, when I ask. "What does he look like he can afford?"

Good thing I started collecting ordnance, when I did. Those prices are much more than what I paid for mine.

There was one show where the dealer actually left the show without loading his large projectiles. I took them and gave them to him at the next show. I think he appreciated the effort.

Sorry you were disappointed in the PA show. I was there two years ago, and while it was small, I did add a few things. Last year I made the Ohio show, also small, but again I found a few nice items. I also only collect military small arms ammo, usually WWI and WWII. The real cartridge show is St Louis, third week of April. Much larger show with around 200 tables, a dozen displays, etc. Several tables that include ordnance type items. You are actually lucky having those opportunities--as small as they are. Since the Texas show ended many years ago, we don't have any options here in the South.

Sorry you were disappointed in the PA show. I was there two years ago, and while it was small, I did add a few things. Last year I made the Ohio show, also small, but again I found a few nice items. I also only collect military small arms ammo, usually WWI and WWII. The real cartridge show is St Louis, third week of April. Much larger show with around 200 tables, a dozen displays, etc. Several tables that include ordnance type items. You are actually lucky having those opportunities--as small as they are. Since the Texas show ended many years ago, we don't have any options here in the South.

If you collect WWI & WWII (as I do), you didn't miss anything - trust me. The show is less than an hour's ride from my home so I don't consider it a waste of time to get to see all the various displays and chat with the dealers, but insofar as picking anything up, I spent $23 on a box that I didn't need but was too cheap to pass up ($12 sealed box APs) and some loose 12.7mms for the heck of it.

But, hopefully I'll be there again next year just as I was last year - maybe someday I'll find something to talk about there.

Art

I grew up in Denver/Adamstown, would have loved to have went to this one!

That 88 with the yellow projectile is actually a 8,8cm Flak 41 round, which was MUCH longer than the standard 88 Flak 36/37 or KwK 36 round, which the white tipped AP round next to it is...

The shorter round is what was used in the typical German 88 FlaK gun, and the Tiger tank...

Very nice pieces, and the French striped 75 next to it is really nice too!