Machete Stamped USMC on Wood Handle with USN MK2 Sheath

aznation

I just acquired this USMC marked machete from a fellow forum member who was kind enough to sell it to me, which I really appreciate. I had wanted a USMC marked machete as my father was a Marine in WW2.

I wanted to see what the experts think with regards to a couple of things.

Do you think the USMC, which is actually pressed into the wood handle, is period and real? Likewise, do you think the painted 4th Div SSI on the Navy canvas sheath is from the period?

Note: I was able to find other Made in Sheffield England machetes with USN Mk2 sheaths, but so far I've not found any that were stamped with USMC into the wood handle.

Just asking for your thoughts. Thank you!

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

g4.jpg

g5.jpg

g6.jpg

This is a hard one to say as it was never issued by the Marines. It may have been used and marked by a Marine but I don't think anyone could say for sure it was WWII.

Just my opinion.

Ken

Browninggunner688

I live in Sheffield, yay ☺, as to the machete I don't know if it was U.S.M.C WW2 issued, as said above.

I would love to find a machete made in Sheffield issued to the U.S. during the war, I only seem to find U.S. made ones and have 2 in my collection.

Nick.

As an aside, Browninggunner688 , living in one of the worlds premier blade making capitals, are Sheffield made items more readily available there?

Browninggunner688

As an aside, Browninggunner688 , living in one of the worlds premier blade making capitals, are Sheffield made items more readily available there?

In 35+ years of collecting U.S. WW2 items, I have never come across ( for me to buy ) a Sheffield made for U.S. machete (lend lease) . I have found lots of British ( Sheffield made ) WW2 blades, KFS sets, tools and so on. I know they are out there but to me finding one is hard.

U.S. made machete's are quite common over here.