CRYE Precision nape pad

PaulS

I found this armored nape pad for the ACH helmet that has a part number:ARM-NP-1-24-000 and no contract number. the center velcro strap is also different and does not look like it is missing any parts. Anyone know when this may have been made and if this is an issue piece?

post-9337-0-27116500-1566103392_thumb.jpg

post-9337-0-84677800-1566103398_thumb.jpg

These are issue pieces. They replaced the standard pad somewhere between 2007-2008. This is actually the first version of the pad, as the second would have another piece of velcro directly opposite the unfolded one in your picture.

These are issue pieces. They replaced the standard pad somewhere between 2007-2008. This is actually the first version of the pad, as the second would have another piece of velcro directly opposite the unfolded one in your picture.

Hello RedLegGI,

That's great news! Thank you for the information! Do you know what the other piece of velcro you mentioned is for?

Hello RedLegGI,

That's great news! Thank you for the information! Do you know what the other piece of velcro you mentioned is for?

Oh, one other question. When did the current improved nape pad replace the one I posted? Do you know of any book/s for collectors that covers ACH and/or the newer ECH helmets?

Hello RedLegGI,

The other velcro piece has the same function as the first, it makes the connection to the helmet stronger. The first one, like yours, would wrap over the 'link' between the two sides of the chinstraps where the original pad would have been, and then onto itself. The newer one does the same thing, but is redundant and better secures it.

Oh, one other question. When did the current improved nape pad replace the one I posted? Do you know of any book/s for collectors that covers ACH and/or the newer ECH helmets?

I don't have an exact date, but relatively soon after the first was being implemented. As far as I know, there are no books about modern helmets out there.

The other velcro piece has the same function as the first, it makes the connection to the helmet stronger. The first one, like yours, would wrap over the 'link' between the two sides of the chinstraps where the original pad would have been, and then onto itself. The newer one does the same thing, but is redundant and better secures it.

I don't have an exact date, but relatively soon after the first was being implemented. As far as I know, there are no books about modern helmets out there.

Thank you for your time and help!

Glad to help :)

I have seen a some ACH helmets with MSA manufacturer labels without contract marking and a second label with what I am guessing is a mfg. date. . Are these helmets Army issue? Was the 2005 contract for ACH a particularly large one? That is contract year I see most of the time I see ACH's. I finally found one with a 2009 date. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

post-9337-0-34533800-1566305994_thumb.jpg

post-9337-0-99768200-1566306004_thumb.jpg

I have seen a some ACH helmets with MSA manufacturer labels without contract marking and a second label with what I am guessing is a mfg. date. . Are these helmets Army issue? Was the 2005 contract for ACH a particularly large one? That is contract year I see most of the time I see ACH's. I finally found one with a 2009 date. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

They are issue ACHs for sure. The commercial version of the ACH will say right on the label that it is the commercial version. The second label is indeed the manufacture date. The 2005 date was probably the first large contract that then had options to extend. So for example if more helmets were ordered for in 2008, they would still fall under that 2005 contract number. This has some oddities occur in the uniforms as you'll see standard issue multicam uniforms, with a contract date before the experimental stuff in 2009's contract date.

Do colors of ACH's mean anything? I see them in black, green and grey?

No special meaning attached, they were just the colors that were available and whatever was chosen for that time. "Green", "Grey", and "Tan" tend to be the ones you'll see coming from the factory, but I don't recall at this time their actual color name. Black, which I've seen a few times, tend to be on the commercial ones mostly.

They are issue ACHs for sure. The commercial version of the ACH will say right on the label that it is the commercial version. The second label is indeed the manufacture date. The 2005 date was probably the first large contract that then had options to extend. So for example if more helmets were ordered for in 2008, they would still fall under that 2005 contract number. This has some oddities occur in the uniforms as you'll see standard issue multicam uniforms, with a contract date before the experimental stuff in 2009's contract date.

No special meaning attached, they were just the colors that were available and whatever was chosen for that time. "Green", "Grey", and "Tan" tend to be the ones you'll see coming from the factory, but I don't recall at this time their actual color name. Black, which I've seen a few times, tend to be on the commercial ones mostly.

Thank you!! How do you find this information?!! I saw an ACH? for sale that looks like it comes with three holes for NVG bracket. Made by ArmorSource, LLC mfg 2012. Is this an ACH, ECH or something else??

Thank you!! How do you find this information?!! I saw an ACH? for sale that looks like it comes with three holes for NVG bracket. Made by ArmorSource, LLC mfg 2012. Is this an ACH, ECH or something else??

Been collecting these for about 10 years now, so it just takes time to learn. As for the ArmorSource lid, I'd have to see the label to know for sure. You can also look up the NSN and it will tell you exactly what it is as well.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

If I remember correctly armor source outsourced their manufacturing to unicor, who cut as many corners as possible and all armorsource helmets were recalled

Been collecting these for about 10 years now, so it just takes time to learn. As for the ArmorSource lid, I'd have to see the label to know for sure. You can also look up the NSN and it will tell you exactly what it is as well.

Thanks again! I found the armored nape pad ( 2nd type ) in a March 2008 tech manual 10-8470-204-10. Here are pics. Is the line starting with "500-AS-" the NSN?

post-9337-0-82496400-1566453009_thumb.jpg

post-9337-0-70485000-1566453018_thumb.jpg

Thanks again! I found the armored nape pad ( 2nd type ) in a March 2008 tech manual 10-8470-204-10. Here are pics. Is the line starting with "500-AS-" the NSN?

post-9337-0-45625300-1566453398_thumb.jpg

post-9337-0-55382900-1566453406_thumb.jpg

If I remember correctly armor source outsourced their manufacturing to unicor, who cut as many corners as possible and all armorsource helmets were recalled

Thank you Cap camouflage Pattern I.

I would say that that helmet is a commercial version. That AS number is their internal numbering and not a NSN or contract number.

Were ESS goggles were used with the ACH when the reversible woodland/desert covers were used? If not what goggle was issue at the time?

That is a great question that I don't know the answer to. Goggles were in use from the invasion onward, but here is a pic of 2ID soldiers wearing the experimental uniform along with goggles on their lids.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/military/h6fcc9/picture35396295/alternates/FREE_960/stryker_rename_2

I would say that that helmet is a commercial version. That AS number is their internal numbering and not a NSN or contract number.

That is a great question that I don't know the answer to. Goggles were in use from the invasion onward, but here is a pic of 2ID soldiers wearing the experimental uniform along with goggles on their lids.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/military/h6fcc9/picture35396295/alternates/FREE_960/stryker_rename_2

Are they wearing CCU's and light weight PASGTs?

Did the Army wear light weight PASGTs, modified PASGTs with three point chinstraps before the issue of the ACH in that order? Is there a way to tell a unit modified three point PASGT?

Is the titanium NVG mount a real issue item (please see pic)? If so when were they issued?

post-9337-0-52460500-1566536928_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

No they are wearing MICH or ACH helmets. I am not sure if they are wearing CCUs or CU, but I think CUs.

That mount is the rhino II, adopted in August 2012 and first issued in 2013 I belive.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Also, on the nape pad, I am not sure if it was intended or not, but I have 3 helmets with the single velcro pad and all of them are velcro'd between the shell and the trapezoid pad, not around the chinstrap nape strap.

There are at least 3 versions of the single velcro version, one marked "model 1" one marked "model 2 ach compatible" and a "model 2 ach compatible" with a NSN. All 3 have the same part number. I have only seen Cyre as a mfg of the single strap version.

Also, on the nape pad, I am not sure if it was intended or not, but I have 3 helmets with the single velcro pad and all of them are velcro'd between the shell and the trapezoid pad, not around the chinstrap nape strap.

There are at least 3 versions of the single velcro version, one marked "model 1" one marked "model 2 ach compatible" and a "model 2 ach compatible" with a NSN. All 3 have the same part number. I have only seen Cyre as a mfg of the single strap version.

Intrigued by this, can you get a pic so I can better understand this setup? Not seen it before so its something new and interesting to me.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-90060900-1566582523.jpg

Here are how all of mine are set up, I don't think this is intended, but I think it is how these particular ones were worn.

One seems un-messed with but the pads were replaced, not uncommon for soldiers to replace pads after deployments because they get gross. I might be mis-remembering but I think some regulation says they should be thrown out after 6 months of constant wear.

One was messed with by the previous owner, he took the cover off for the sale photos, I'm not sure if he did more than that but I feel the setup is original.

The one without any pads or chinstrap I got direct from the vet but I don't know if it is only stuck to the shell because there it no chinstrap to attach it to? The vet said he was issued a new helmet but not new pads or chinstrap so he took them from this helmet. Not sure what's up with that, maybe he had nicer quality ones in this he purchased on his own? Or maybe the new helmet he was issued had used pads and straps that had someone else's sweat and grime on them?

Anyway with all of them being messed with in one way or another I can't say for certain this is how they were worn, but I'm pretty sure.

post-153751-0-34916800-1566582533_thumb.jpg

Here are the labels. As far as I can tell there are no differences between them besides the labels. They all have a black ballistic insert inside.