Can I date a box of WWII '06 AP was made by lot number?

usmce4

No biggie, but I picked up a sealed box of St. Louis Ordnance Plant .30 Cal AP M2 Lot #7379. Can anybody tell me if there is a site where I can date it? Or does anybody by chance know the date?

Thanks, Art

You can roughly date it by the type of label...does it have the colored stripes, or are they plain?

I know the blue stripe with 2 orange puts it at mid to late WWII, but I'm trying to pin it down to the exact year for my display

Thanks, Art

The only chart I know of dates lot numbers by when non corrosive ammo was manufactured. SL 7,000 is pre 7/1952. I do know shortly after WW2 the boxes were not marked in colors, but switched to plain cardboard with black ink. I believe your AP is WW2 manufacture. Of course, you can always open the box up and see what the headstamp says. post-180924-0-65822400-1566152684_thumb.jpeg

Thanks once again for your expertise silverplate - always appreciated

917601 Thanks to you as well - I have that chart also (I think I once posted it on here) - it comes in handy at times

Art

Unfortunately Im not where my pubs are located but the lot numbers by year are listed in the SB 9-amm series. I expect that silver plate has them and has provided good data.

Unfortunately Im not where my pubs are located but the lot numbers by year are listed in the SB 9-amm series. I expect that silver plate has them and has provided good data.

Would you be good enough to tell me where I can find that info? I have dozens of boxes I'd love to date but I don't want to be a pain in the butt and put them all on here. silverplate is always accommodating, but I don't want to wear out my welcome.

I just tried Googleing "SB 9-amm" but all I got were senate bills :unsure:

I'd really appreciate it - feel free to PM me the info if you wish

Art

Art,

Unfortunately they are hard to find because as they were updated they were tossed as obsolete. Unlike FMs and TMs they were not published in great quantities and normally only ordnance collectors and some older military libraries have them. Kind of like finding those old SNLs, etc. Ive been looking for the K series (lubrication) for years and those that have them wont relinquish them. Regards

Art,

Here is a photo of what to look for. I was lucky that I found both documents when I started collecting WW2 ammo boxes and making my replicas.

As far as dating your boxes, I don't mind helping if you want to put together a list of the plants, type of ammo, and lot number.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

post-162630-0-16794600-1566339142.jpg