My Great Great uncles work uniform ?

Hello All,

I am hoping I can get assistance with the uniform my uncle is wearing in the pic on the left. I have been given stellar information on the one on the right and I am currently studying that uniform (M1881 helmet) for a future purchase, But while I am finding officers models, I not seeing many enlisted version for the 2nd Cavalry. I will continue my search for that . In the mean time I would like to look for what he is wearing in the pic on the left. Could I get the exact year and model of what cap and uniform he is wearing? I figure I can research/pursue that option while waiting to find my holy grail.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

This pic is circa 1891 from my research and assistance given here.

post-11740-0-02654700-1565971509_thumb.jpg

Semper Fi

Phil

I would have added this to the above post but my edit function timed out. I also wanted to change "work" uniform to utility.

Could I get a recommendation on a reseach publication to study about this uniform?

Semper Fi

Phil

Thank you Matt,

Do you know of any reference books that I might get?

I would like one that can help ID reproductions looking at the prices I found on the Kepi.

Semper Fi

Phil

Thank you Matt,

Do you know of any reference books that I might get?

I would like one that can help ID reproductions looking at the prices I found on the Kepi.

The one BEAST posted is the only uniform reference book I've ever seen for the Indian War period.

Good luck with your quest, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Thank you Gent's,

I appreciate your time and knowledge shared.

And thank you Beast for the book recommendation . It also looks like the same author also wrote this one.

Hats Off: Head Dress of the U.S. Army 1872-1912 ' I just picked up a copy of A Guide Book to U.S. Army Dress Helmets 1872-1904 Mark Kasal and Don Moore and the above mentioned book was also recommended. Looks like my library is going to grow a little bigger. I might try inter library loan for these to see if they are worth adding. I'm glad you like the pic's Beast as much as I do. Thanks again to all. Semper Fi Phil.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...