James Mause B-17 Bombardier and POW Stalag Luft 3 (LARGE PICTURES)

Jakeman664

Hello, these items recently came up at a local auction. Mr. Mause passed away in 2005 and seems the family decided to liquidate the entire estate. His B-17 was "Boom Town" according the the American Air Museum in Britain. It was shot down after a bombing raid on a synthetic rubber plant in Huls Germany. He was then taken to Stalag Luft 3 (most famous for the great escape) where he was a POW (#1630) until the end of war. I was fortunate enough to get his POW ID tag with prayer book where he kept some notes including those on his B-17 that were not fortunate enough to survive the plane crash and his named Purple Heart. I believe the hat pictured is likely the hat he wore as a POW in Luft 3. Unfortunately the auction house did a poor job of keeping a lot of stuff together and many of his photos and diaries were split up into several groups that sadly went for over $200 a lot. If anyone has any more resources to research Mr. Mause I would be happy to look into more info.

Nzok7Da.jpgMnlEjxU.jpgYkDSU2k.jpg

hovxDpg.jpg

There was also his brothers items mixed into the auction . John (Jack) D Mause . American Pilot who flew with the RAF .

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?11767-P-O-J.-D.-Mause-an-American-with-No.-56-Sqn&styleid=3

I did not realize a bunch of what was auctioned belong to his brother until after the auction. I made copies of all the items I did not buy for research if you want them. I have a small lot on the way which what I realize now is a mix of James and Johns items including the diary which is actually John's where he mentions being assigned to the 56th RAF . He flew at Dieppe from what I have found on John. I believe the bomber Jacket was James and the A-2 John's. The 2nd Purple hearts Johns

Hello Pip, thank you I'm glad to have them as groupings like this don't show up very often. I didn't realize he had a brother until today where I found an article in the Frederick Post where his brother said he was likely a POW now. I guess that explains the RAF patches! The auction house also put these lots in the first of his 3 estate auctions and didn't mention them in the description so missed out on them (RAF and US shirts and more photos)

cd583dd348.jpg

40dbe214b4.jpg

I tried for awhile to figure out how this 115th Maryland jacket fit into the family and if it was linked to the 29th and D-Day and did not spend enough time on John.

post-85644-0-55449900-1565926072_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a bunch of items including his POW lead wing and named Caterpillar Club pin. I also have the 46 POW letters he wrote from Stalag Luft 3.

Kurt

• 1 month later...

I realized I forgot to post all the writing in the prayer book. I apologize. Of particular note is the entry describing his evacuation from the camp as the Red Army closed in (picture 7). There is also 2 pages of names of other camp inmates I assume he befriended but some of them do contain personal addresses.

SVjVRL8.jpg

L58Ln8S.jpg

utDRE7l.jpg

yHcC6Np.jpg

1MF2ldn.jpg

e5Ma0Z3.jpg0Zh1uhn.jpg

fcrMv1z.jpg

• 10 months later...
ArmoredTurtle
On 9/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, KASTAUFFER said:

I picked up a bunch of items including his POW lead wing and named Caterpillar Club pin. I also have the 46 POW letters he wrote from Stalag Luft 3.

Kurt

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was excited to come across this thread after having picked up Mause’s gold and silver caterpillar pins. Was wondering if you could post a pic of yours? Curious what the other one looks like 

A3C26225-DED4-4B1F-A20D-EB1D2017403A.jpeg

54CBC635-2177-4AA2-8609-E9898E06B7E2.jpeg

E06EDB74-607E-4C56-A5BA-C6FF0242C5DD.jpeg

2129F5E9-E625-4E13-AFC3-46225048F5AD.jpeg

EF4BD36E-0BC4-4999-BD14-B8D7EAABEBBC.jpeg

9A66D153-AB8B-42D8-9232-C9735AE29442.jpeg

7FD2F88E-89CF-4FF6-A5C6-165942D4FCC6.jpeg