USMC/Navy/Army Pre WWI-WW2 and a Son in Vietnam Group

ScottG

These are the items of Lt Colonel Joe Bachus and his Son Lt. Col Littleton Bachus. Joe has an amazing story! He was a sailor at the turn of the century aboard the USS Hartford, he was diagnosed with tonsillitis and discharged after about a year and a half. He then joined the USMC and served aboard the USS Michigan/Wolverine on the Great Lakes, out of Erie PA. He also saw service in Cuba as well as many other places in his 5 years as a Marine. He then became a Police Officer at the Panama Canal Zone during the construction. Upon returning to Michigan he became a travelling salesman. He served in the Ohio Guard as a Private and was later elected Captain, then he resigned and joined the Michigan Guard as a Corporal. He was in the 126th Infantry out of Ann Arbor and later was made a Lieutenant. at the Mexican Border he was promoted to 1st Lieutenant. When the 32nd Div left for WWI he was a platoon leader and while giving General Pershing a tour of his sector the General made him a Captain. Before the 32nd entered the Meuse-Argonne he was transferred to Camp Kearny as the Chief bayonet training officer. Later he served in the border war between Chile and Peru and in Mexico again. During WWII he was in charge of a recruiting district and personally enlisted Jimmy Doolittles Son. He retired as a full Colonel in 1947 after and amazing career.

His Son, Littleton was a Regular Army career Engineer Officer with multiple tours in Vietnam. He was a Company Commander and later an adviser as a Major. I haven't had time to go through all of Littletons paperwork yet and there isn't much. Joe on the other hand has volumes! Approx 40 WWI maps, as well as orders, photos, documents, etc.... Hundreds of items.

shown here is a huge trunk with most of the items. Unfortunately, no uniform for Joe, just field gear and swords. Scott

post-104832-0-99750800-1565759089_thumb.jpg

Here are a few highlights of Joe's items. Sadly the Marine board is only a single, but its still pretty cool given the storied history of the USS Michigan/Wolverine on the Great Lakes! So there were two swords with hangars, a nice bolo and some really neat leather gear. Not shown is his campaign hat and some additional small items as well as all of the paperwork and photos. Scott

post-104832-0-50088600-1565759226_thumb.jpg

post-104832-0-43367500-1565759238_thumb.jpg

post-104832-0-31728300-1565759249_thumb.jpg

Here are a few of the highlights of Littleton's items. I like the presentation plaques and the red trimmed ascot. The plastic box it loaded with his insignia, dui's, ribbons, name tags etc... There were two shirts, his dress blue service cap and a dress white service cap as well as many extra sets of rank, ssi, and misc field gear. Scott.

So, I use the forum re-sizer and its still too large... Why do I even bother???? I love the forum, but the whole picture thing is really a pain and it certainly prevents me from adding more detailed photos as its just too bothersome. So, sorry to anyone who wanted to see more. Scott

The Grandson donated all of the items to my museum on Friday. He is an author and wrote a book about Joe that is quite good. Its done as a novel as he never knew Joe, and he had to "fill in some details". Most of it is true though he did change names. There is a real life plot twist at the end which explains why he didn't know all of the details. Its worth a read and I have several autographed copies for sale at the museum. They are $25.00 plus postage. PM me if interested. Scott

post-104832-0-06608000-1565760293.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IS there any chance . the bolo is the rare variation for the KRAG rifle ???? Super superior grouping

I don't think so, but I wouldn't know what to look for? Sorry for the late response, I just saw this tonight. I haven't checked back here as no one really seemed too interested in this group... Scott

• 3 weeks later...