Can you date this USMC photo?

Eric Queen

Picked this up recently from a forum member and thought it was someone interesting.

Not sure I have ever seen a Marine studio portrait before with a Chinese soldier. I was leaning somewhat towards pre-war because the Marine is wearing a leather belt (not sure when those phased out) and no soldier patch (I would think the Marines in China in 45/46 would be wearing 1st/6th, etc. patches but could be wrong on that)

The other mans seems to be a pre/early war Nationalist officer. Dirk leans toward post-war but just wondering what others thought.

I have no true feelings either way just thought it was unique.

Thanks

Eric

msg-3953-0-10627600-1565219560.jpg

Also leaning postwar on this. For one thing, it almost appears as if he only has rank on one sleeve. I know it looks like there is another chevron on the opposite arm (his right, but left to the viewer), but it doesn't quite seem to match that of his left arm. Which makes me wonder if it is a flaw from when the print was made, or if it is a small scratch on the print. Because it sure looks like one side has two chevrons while the other has only one. Anyway, if there is only one chevron (and the other is indeed a scratch or artifact from the negative) I'd definitely go with postwar.

I think P-40Warhawk gives the best reasoning as to why this is post war, but only shortly after the war since the Marine is still wearing the leather belt on the greens. An odd thing about the Marine is he is wearing no ribbons nor qualification badges. A Corporal at the end of the war, he should have at least had a WWII Victory ribbon.

Steve

I think P-40Warhawk gives the best reasoning as to why this is post war, but only shortly after the war since the Marine is still wearing the leather belt on the greens. An odd thing about the Marine is he is wearing no ribbons nor qualification badges. A Corporal at the end of the war, he should have at least had a WWII Victory ribbon.

Steve

If he went from the front right to China, there's a good chance he didn't receive the ribbon right away.

Even those coming as stateside replacements did not always display victory ribbons in many photos, and even later in the occupation many wore no ribbons

If the photo is scratched, making it appear as if a single chevron is on the right sleeve, then it is the luckiest scratch ever.

If you line up the photo with a straight edge, it appears that the upper tip of both "chevrons" are in alignment.

Now, being a squid, I have no idea why a Marine would have different stripes on his sleeves.

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate it.

Perhaps another question could be (and just thinking out loud here) do we know for sure the photo was even taken in China? There is really nothing anywhere to indicate that it was. No photography stamp, nothing. The reverse is blank accept for a hand written note "Uncle Clinton with one of his Japanese pals". Would there have been any reason for the Chinese military to have representation in occupied Japan? I wonder if it could even had been taken in the States? (a Chinese liaison officer?) I guess we will never know. I wish Uncle Clinton had a last name....

Interesting that I could not find a single "Clinton" on Ancestry with a muster date of 45, 46 or 47.

Interesting. I could not find a single one from those years. I must have screwed up the search criteria

Could the photo have been taken in Japan?

Just found a Clinton L. Walters First Marine Ammunition Company, Seventh Service Reginent Service Command, ....I think these guys were in China...but was a Corporal Jan of 44 got into theater Jan of 45 but looks like back stateside Jan 46

Thanks Dirk. I took a look at that guys history and I believe he was at Montford Point. I found a bio (with photo) of another man from the unit and he was also a Montford Point Marine.

I am really leaning toward this photo being taken in Japan during the occupation. Pretty interesting/unusual either way.