Trying to ID a Small Maker Knife from Illinois

Wedgehead30

I've been trying to identify the maker of this knife. It was made by a farmer in Nokomis Illinois. The story goes that he made a knife for every man from Nokomis who went off to World War Two. How many were made is not known. The knife is very well made, there are no markings on it. I don't think the sheath shown is the original. Any help appreciated.

post-124172-0-38707400-1565706950_thumb.jpg

Never have seen one. I do own a lot of home front made knives. Theater knives too. But there are a lot out there. I will keep a look out for any information.

Hello, I'm curious as to where the story of the knife originated.

Although the knife could've been made by an elderly farmer, it appears (at least to me) that the knife, especially the blade is very well made. I'm wondering if maybe a blacksmith from the area in which Earl L. Stauder lived might've made the knife. When looking at the 1940 Census for Earl L. Stauder, I looked through all 33 pages from that same township and came up with two Blacksmiths. There was Herman Dirks, Age 53, born in Illinois, and Otto Hoffman, Age 42, born in Germany. Those were the only two Blacksmiths by occupation that I was able to find. I find it highly unlikely that the maker of the knife will be found but just wanted to throw that out there as a possibility.

Here's some additional information on Earl L. Stauder and his son David E. Stauder.

Source: Find-A-Grave

g1.jpg

Hello, I'm curious as to where the story of the knife originated.

Although the knife could've been made by an elderly farmer, it appears (at least to me) that the knife, especially the blade is very well made. I'm wondering if maybe a blacksmith from the area in which Earl L. Stauder lived might've made the knife. When looking at the 1940 Census for Earl L. Stauder, I looked through all 33 pages from that same township and came up with two Blacksmiths. There was Herman Dirks, Age 53, born in Illinois, and Otto Hoffman, Age 42, born in Germany. Those were the only two Blacksmiths by occupation that I was able to find. I find it highly unlikely that the maker of the knife will be found but just wanted to throw that out there as a possibility.

Here's some additional information on Earl L. Stauder and his son David E. Stauder.

Source: Find-A-Grave

Thanks for all of the info. Dave Stauder is actually the guy who gave me the knife and told me the story. Both he and I have been trying to identify the maker. Unfortunately there's no one left in his family that has any info on it. But the two names you provided are worth investigating.

You're welcome. That's great that the knife and the story came from Dave himself. I hope one day that the knife maker will be identified. That would be awesome. Good luck! --Matt