Please ID Civil War Sword

27Division18

Can anyone provide me some info on this Civil War sword? The blade is marked Groby W. Chelmsford Mass. and the other side is US 1865 A.G.M.

post-151543-0-11503400-1565649388.jpg

post-151543-0-28350500-1565649392.jpg

post-151543-0-23833100-1565649396.jpg

27Division18

Was it uncommon for one branch on the sword to be removed? Any idea why this may have been done?

Looks like a 1860 Light Cav Saber by Roby of Chelmsford Mass and as noted above one branch removed.

The removal of the branch appears to have been well done. I don't remember ever reading about a reason a branch might intentionally be removed. I'm guessing it was just damaged at some point.

Could the removal of the branch have to do with the sword wearer might be left handed? If worn on the right hip for a left-handed draw, the branches might get in the way?

TH1

• 2 weeks later...
Spathologist

The removal of the branch appears to have been well done. I don't remember ever reading about a reason a branch might intentionally be removed. I'm guessing it was just damaged at some point.

That's my guess also. The branch was bent, as was not uncommon, and perhaps broke off when trying to bend it back into place.

I agree with Varangian that the outside branch was broken on this US Light Cavalry Sabre and this was the easiest way to repair it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks gents!

I agree with Varangian that the outside branch was broken on this US Light Cavalry Sabre and this was the easiest way to repair it.