1975 dated uncut MC1-B parachute complete, packed.

Fascinating .mil article on the use of parachutes in the Airborne...reading the comments very interesting. I never knew ( or cared) about the amount of injuries with the MC1 parachute or why we used them on some jumps and others the T10, ( 1977-80). I do remember we had 20 some deaths one year during my duty, it appears the MC1 was found not suitable for mass tactical drops, nor was the MC6.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/12/31/the-t-10-parachute-transitions-into-retirement/

Can any others jumpers help unfog my mind as I remember the " dial of death" harness, I remember using it but can not find any info when it was phased out.

I remember using the "dial of death" release on jumps in Airborne school in February 1984, but I never used one in the 82nd when I got there in March 1984.

The MC1-1B was still being used for mass tactical jumps when I was in the 82nd from 1984-1987. It may not have been suitable, but it was still being used.

Comments in the article interesting :

"MC series chutes were never adopted for large unit mass tactical jumps due to required jumper separation, this prevented them from being allowed for dropping from two doors simultaneously. More than twice as much TOT, with half the amount of jumpers dropped per pass is a huge issue when trying to saturate a DZ with paratroopers.

Jon, OPT

Terry B. says:

January 3, 2015 at 01:56

Jon,

That’s right. But I can assure you that the 82nd tried like hell to make it work in 83-84.

I was in the 1/504 at the time and involved as a jumpmaster on many of those adventures.

The Division even had an MC1 “driver school” we put everyone through to try to increase individual proficiency. That helped, but not enough.

Suffice to say we injured a good number of people in the process.

The alternate / staggered door exit techniques you describe were temporary work arounds eventually adopted that increased safety and decreased injuries – but created the other tactical issues you mention.

Finally (late 85 I think but I don’t remember the exact timing), the powers that be made the correct decision that getting the maximum number of jumpers (safely) out of the aircraft in the shortest amount of time was the critical task.

So we reverted back to the T10 for mass tactical jumps. But as I said, the original plan was to replace the T10 entirely and “pure fleet” the MC1 for all static line operations.

It wasn’t the first or last time the Army had a “good idea” that didn’t work as expected.

TLB

Terry B. says:

January 3, 2015 at 02:50

Additional side note.

The 82nd and other conventional units at Bragg did continue to use the MC1s for fun jumps, jumpfests, and foreign wing exchange jumps, etc.

Tactically, some of the Airborne Engineer platoons and the Infantry Scout platoons continued to train on the MC1.

Those same platoons were also all certified in rough terrain jump techniques with MC1s in 86-87. I left Division in 88 so I don’t know how long those requirements remained in effect.

I’m presuming that the T11 replaced the MC1 and the T10 for all purposes in conventional units?

I’m pretty sure the conventional units are NOT routinely using the MC6...."

• 1 month later...

Mounted it up for Deltas Vet Day, not to happy with the outcome, but worth the time spent. 30+ aircraft showing up. From A B17 to C-17 to A10s to Harriers.Wonderful place to work, much support from management. post-180924-0-59030600-1573086231_thumb.jpeg