Army Air Defense Command - ARADCOM

316th FS 324th FG

Bolo,

I like it. My father-in-law was a V Tech cadet who, after graduating, went off to Fort Bliss for training as a 2n lt in a Nike/Ajax battery. He then served in the WDC area.

Would love to see any other ARADCOM stuff you have or want to part with.

Doug

post-1963-1230834999.jpg

Judging from the uniforms and insignia, the scene appears to be ca. 1960 - '65. The SSI was U.S. Army Air Defense Center at Fort Bliss and as we have four evidently newly minted 2nd lieutenants on the job, they probably were part of an Air Defense Officer basic course class.

Awhile back I posted a 1958 copy of the Air Defense Journal for sale, along with some of the photos. Apparently back then it was only published once a year. It contained a broad overview of US Army Air Defense systems (Hawk and Nike), the basics of radar tracking, information on new developments, and a list of career courses. Apparently the sale listing was taken down, so here are a couple repeats for you...

Air_Defense_cover_small.JPG

Air_Defense_Guidance_small.JPG

And the ever present radar domes... a common site around the country during the early 1960's.... a battery fully loaded...

Air_Defense_Radar_small.JPG

Air_Defense_Nike_Hercules_small.JPG

Missile away! .... and one of my favorite all time photos... missile drill within full view of residential apartments in Chicago... just what you want the kids to see when they come home from school!

Air_Defense_Nike_Hercules_Firing_small.JPG

Air_Defense_Nike_Hercules_Chicago_small.JPG