Ebay Grouping

z19

Well...there was a neat 88th grouping that hit Ebay yesterday and now it's gone!! I'm so sick of this crap...people who have no idea what they have post stuff for auction and then take the first low ball offer they get from somebody and end the auction!!! It wasn't an over the top group, but it had some really neat post war pieces included.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-WW2-88TH-BLUE-DEVIL-DIVISION-GROUPING-UNIFORM-DI-039-s-NAMED-JG-THORSTENSON-/283574906412?hash=item420661ae2c%3Ag%3A15oAAOSwZSpdTNpR&nma=true&si=tBDqnIkeqzI2yrIcKo%252F950hxOOk%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

aerialbridge

It takes two to tango as far as the lousy situation you describe that is all too common on ebay and for which there are no consequences. Be ticked at the dumb sellers who don't know what they have but don't leave out the antsy buyer that knows what the dumb seller has but can't stand to abide by the rules and get the item by being the high bidder. Yeah, it bites.

There could be other reasons the seller pulled it...I've watched several auctions where the seller listed the item, pulled it when more information or material was available, and then relisted. Or, they could have just gotten a really good offer for it and took it.

If you look at their completed auctions, they routinely sell militaria, so they probably didn't just take the first offer that came in...it looks like they know what they're doing with regard to pricing.

pararaftanr2

Sometimes it pays to read all of the seller's listing. He clearly stated the following in the description:

"The auction is 7 days. You can make offers but it's better to just be the high bidder 5 seconds before the auction ends".

The auction started at an opening bid of $185.00 with no BIN. Clearly, someone offered him $1600.00 and the listing was changed to a BIN for that amount. No ebay rules were broken in that scenario. Was that grouping really worth that much?

Sounds like rules were followed to the letter. As the saying goes, if you want it, step up.

:)

Yeah, I emailed him after seeing he pulled the auction. Didn't know he had listed it as a BIN and it sold. Asked him why and he pulled it and I was really interested and he gave me a one word answer. "Offer" ?? :dry:

Hey, no big deal though. It's just stuff at the end of the day and like most of you guys I have my share.

I lost a knife auction in a similar way, that I really wanted. There was a opening bid, and a BIN. I had always known the BIN to go away after the opening bid was placed. So I placed the opening bid on my phone, until I could get home and see the pics on a larger screen. Minutes later, the auction was ended with the BIN. What is funny, is there was a medal on there recently with the same setup, but this time when I placed the opening bid, the BIN did go away. Maybe it is a setting the seller picks.

Dunno.

easterneagle87

There was a grouping that I was bidding and winning that ended , just plain dissapppeared yesterday morning. Coffin boxed BS & PH, other medals, some navy items, a Philippine buckle, etc. Many of you probably know the group I'm referring too. There too few secrets in this field anymore. I thought I'd at least get a notice of, "so sad, too bad", but NOTHING. When I went to look for the auction, it said it couldn't be found. Was this a case of the ebay police finally and actually pulling it due to it having a PH?!? OR a deep pocket poacher?

eBay allows sellers to reply to PMs with offers now, as well. If an item is auction format with an OBO option, if the item has a reserve the offer option will remain until the reserve is met. If no reserve, then first bid ends the OBO.

eBay has decided to make a couple features for offers probably since so many backdoor deals were happening anyway completely off eBay. This probably helps them collect more fees since the backdoor off-site is less often done.

Moral of the story, if you see an auction format with an OBO that interests you, throw in the opening bid at the starting price and bid/snipe your highest in the last moments. Waiting for the end to start bidding is an at your own risk situation. I do it all the time. Something I will pay 100 for starting at 5? Yup...throw in a 5 buck bid to reduce the odds of an offer being accepted or back door deal done.

Well...there was a neat 88th grouping that hit Ebay yesterday and now it's gone!! I'm so sick of this crap...people who have no idea what they have post stuff for auction and then take the first low ball offer they get from somebody and end the auction!!! It wasn't an over the top group, but it had some really neat post war pieces included.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-WW2-88TH-BLUE-DEVIL-DIVISION-GROUPING-UNIFORM-DI-039-s-NAMED-JG-THORSTENSON-/283574906412?hash=item420661ae2c%3Ag%3A15oAAOSwZSpdTNpR&nma=true&si=tBDqnIkeqzI2yrIcKo%252F950hxOOk%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I know this seller and he knows what he has. He would not have taken the first low ball offer. He knows what I collect along with a few other area collectors but he will never offer us anything.

Ray

Why not just enter your max bid right away. Then you either win it for that or possibly even less, or you lose. If you lose after entering your max, then its really not a problem, it just means someone wanted it more. There is really no way a buyer can go wrong in this scenario. Just my two cents. Looked like a nice grouping, but I agree that it seems to have gone pretty high. Scott

BILL THE PATCH

Nice grouping. But to much IMHO. Even 600.00 is just about right, and that's pushing it

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...