82nd ABN Ike - 504th PIR

scotty1418

Was pretty excited to have the opportunity to pick this up locally. While not a wartime piece, for me it's pretty unique and interesting.

I've started research which has proven fruitful and interesting as well!

This belonged to John Royce Noe of Kentucky who enlisted in late 1945 and joined the 504th PIR, I Company, 82nd Airborne at least through 1949.

Based on some preliminary records, it would appear that he enlisted in 1943 underage in the Navy, then reenlisted 1945 in the army, and possibly another enlistment followed in the marine corps. I dont know if I've ever seen another 3 branch soldier!

Would appreciate any thoughts on the overall set. The presidential citation bar is hiding on the other side behind the airborne garrison cap as well. From some research, it appears there was a question about when the 504th DIs were starting to be used as they were not likely used wartime. This might prove some good evidence of them making an appearance shortly afterward and by 1949.

It looks like the fourragere should be on the other shoulder? Also the flash has strong evidence of the clutch back para wings that were once there. Would anyone be able to suggest a 'correct' variant that would work well here?

Noe-gravestone.jpg

IMG-4786.jpg
IMG-4788.jpg

Would certainly appreciate feedback on the setup here.

Was the double set of collar brass correct postwar and late 1940s?

Would the first fourragere start on the left shoulder?

ww2guymandude

From what I’ve seen, the double collar brass is 100% correct for the time period. I have also seen misplacement of fourrageres before so that doesn’t bring up any red flags for me.

Well it appears that the Dis are applied "upside down". The motto should be facing the shoulder seam, "Stike Hold" should be the other direction...if that makes sense?

TH1

Your DUIs are in the right position, they just need to be turned 180 degrees. As I mentioned in the other post, the fact that there is an airborne tab on the jacket makes this one circa 1949. The reason for the lack of other fourrageres and lanyards is that the 504th didn't earn a French fourragere and if the soldier wasn't in the Netherlands, he would not have rated the Dutch Orange Lanyard.

Nice jacket.

Allan

Your DUIs are in the right position, they just need to be turned 180 degrees. As I mentioned in the other post, the fact that there is an airborne tab on the jacket makes this one circa 1949. The reason for the lack of other fourrageres and lanyards is that the 504th didn't earn a French fourragere and if the soldier wasn't in the Netherlands, he would not have rated the Dutch Orange Lanyard.

Nice jacket.

Allan

Thank you for the DUI info.

Appreciate the feedback.