Can someone ID this unit:226th Field Artillery BN?

226th Field Artillery

NYNG Obsolete

post-34986-0-33498600-1565397882.png

The one posted denfly may be the unit's newer DI? What's the rear look like?

Yes that's the one. I have 1 of these and always known them to be the 226th fa. Is it possible as seen before that more than one unit has the same motto?

donation2016.gif

Yes that's the one. I have 1 of these and always known them to be the 226th fa. Is it possible as seen before that more than one unit has the same motto?

Is there Hallmarks on the one you posted, or do you not own it? cause I did see images online of the one you posted but only the fronts.

Minero- Newcome, clutch back. The other 226 with the palm tree is also a clutch back, nhm.

Thanks.

So are both the same 226th Artillery with different designs from time periods?

Don't know, it's not depicted in the NYNG site, only shows the one you know. The unit was in the 42nd Div in the 50s, and was probably inactivated in late 1957 during the CARS reorganization, indeed, it does not show in the 42nd Div's OOB in the 60s, here the arty for the division in the PENTOMIC and ROAD periods were various battalions of the 104th, 105th and 258th Artillery.

So it's a stumper.

The 226th from what I understand that I read about over 20yrs ago, was a 2nd battalion of the 105th F. A. and the 105th was under the 27th infantry division. The stars pattern on the DUI is similar to the Orion patch of the 27th I. D. I have also read books of the 226th's participation in the pacific theater where the 105th also participated. The other DUI with the Verdun exterior is likely a recognition of being a part of the 105th and the palm tree represents the pacific theater participation. My guess is that one was post WW2. Perhaps someone may have further info on this.

donation2016.gif

Now you got me thinking den, that star grouping is the Southern Cross as depicted at least with the Americal Division's patch. In WWII the 226th FA Bn was as you said, formed from the 1st Battalion 105th Field Artillery Regiment, the 226th Fan Bn was then a non divisional big gun unit, 155mm Gun Tractor, it goes to Hawaii, then Leyte and then the finial phase of the Okinawa Campaign. So perhaps this star grouping is a reference to it's Pacific service??? Though it wouldn't of been associated with the Americal, as those guys were not in on the Leyte Campaign, nor Okinawa.

post-126332-0-99818000-1565387555.jpg23rdInfDiv.jpg

As a reference for comparison, the DI for the 105th Field Artillery Regiment and the WWII period 105th Field Artillery Battalion, the 105th FA Bn formed from the regiment's 2nd Battalion, and retained both the regimental number and it's DI.

post-34986-0-30830600-1565619500.jpg

As a reference for comparison, the DI for the 105th Field Artillery Regiment and the WWII period 105th Field Artillery Battalion, the 105th FA Bn formed from the regiment's 2nd Battalion, and retained both the regimental number and it's DI.

post-34986-0-30830600-1565619500.jpg

Seems the Fleur de lis was replaced by the Verdun image and the Pacific stars swapped for the palm tree. I would assume this is a later design sometime during the 1950's The 226th has a facebook site, although small, I've contacted the site maintainer to see if he can assist on what DUI was used and for how long. I'm sure someone out there may know something more but I guess we'll have to be patient and see.

donation2016.gif

Seems the Fleur de lis was replaced by the Verdun image and the Pacific stars swapped for the palm tree. I would assume this is a later design sometime during the 1950's The 226th has a facebook site, although small, I've contacted the site maintainer to see if he can assist on what DUI was used and for how long. I'm sure someone out there may know something more but I guess we'll have to be patient and see.

Right but if it was a redesign why the diagonal bar or BEND as it called, in a direction in the old one? In any event please let us know if they have something on this DI.

I have the field artillery reference volumes by Sawicki but have to check my storage unit to find them. I'm sure there's info on both of these there.

donation2016.gif

I have the field artillery reference volumes by Sawicki but have to check my storage unit to find them. I'm sure there's info on both of these there.

Yes there both in Sawicki, the 105th FA Bn and the 226th FA Bn, the 105th FA Bn just keeps the DI for the 105th FA Regt because it retained the regimental number, this DI is adopted in April 1925, the 226th FA Bn after it's formed in 1942 never had a DI till 1956, it gets it's DI in July 1956.

Which version of the 226th is being shown, the one with the pac stars or the palm tree? Which one is the official, actual DUI?

donation2016.gif

Which version of the 226th is being shown, the one with the pac stars or the palm tree? Which one is the official, actual DUI?

This one.

post-34986-0-33498600-1565397882.png

Would this one now be a State Guard one, a heretofore unidentified one????????? A lot of question marks I know :lol:

post-126332-0-99818000-1565387555.jpg