Grave Site Plaque Found

zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

We have a mystery down here in Texas.

This grave site plaque was found alongside a railroad track near Huntsville TX. The finders are trying to locate where it was taken from. Anyone know how to find out where a veteran was buried?

post-216437-0-73792300-1565319804.jpg

I have one from a WW1 soldier.It was found in a abandon house in a larger city here.The veteran was from Arkansas.The Marker appears never used or mounted never been in the weather etc.I can only speculate how it ended up in Iowa.Was it a replacement ot a error and not used?never know.All i can say if I display it or go to sell it some day peoples initial reaction is its stolen and no one can positively know if thats true ...or not.

Just looking at this one it doesn't look like its been in the elements since 1982...appears to look in new-ish condition.Does it have any tool marks from it being pried or removed from a granite base?...just curious.Just thinking it could have been a duplicate ot a error and ended up being discarded etc.

suwanneetrader

Mayvbe? But the fact the photo used is the same photo you have makes me wonder. You could contact the cemetery listed on the findagrave and inquire about it?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/96502875

Yes pic is the one on "FindaGrave" See the seam in concrete running a couple of inches below the upper right corner of the bronze plaque. Where is a pic taken in Texas? Richard

zzyzzogeton

Yes pic is the one on "FindaGrave" See the seam in concrete running a couple of inches below the upper right corner of the bronze plaque. Where is a pic taken in Texas? Richard

Allegedly, the photo was taken in or near Huntsville TX, which is north of Houston on IH45 heading to Dallas.

A knife & hawk throwing friend who lives in Huntsville reposted the picture to me via FB from a friend of hers in Huntsville, who is supposed to have found it. She asked me if I could find anything out since she knew I collected "military stuff". She seems to think I am way more knowledgeable than I am.

I do find it suspicious that the photo sent via FB to me matched the photo depicted via findagrave.

In any event, I would not recommend selling one of these. The government issued markers remain forever government property. I learned this when, in 2010, we buried my Mom's remains in the same grave as my Dad's remains. My Dad, who died in 1972, served 22 years in the Marines and had a bronze marker similar to the one originally posted. When we put my Mom there, we needed to have another marker made, which was not at government expense. I asked the manager of the cemetery just outside of the old El Toro Marine Base if we could have the old bronze marker since it would no longer be used. He told us that it was still government property and would be sent back to "the government." The only other choice was that it could be buried in the grave with my parents. We went for that choice. Soooo, something to think about.

Steve

If you'll note the caption of the Find A Grave photo it says "This marker was found in Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama in Aug. 2019. Could it belong here? Contact the Madison County sheriff's office."

Seems it was posted there 5 days ago on the offhand chance it belonged to the individual listed on that Find A Grave entry. The original entry for Bennie White was made in September of 2012 according to Find A Grave.

Edited to add: How to explain the difference in Huntsville, TX and Huntsville, AL I have no idea...