Interesting (Unusual) USAF Script Engraved Air Medal with Prop Device to USN Officer

Frank_Smith

Hobza - Do you have his death of death document from his IDPF or a transmittal letter from his personnel file? Frank

Attached is the document I am referring to. This document triggered the issuance of the posthumous Purple Heart and appears in both the IDPF and Personnel File of the casualty. The date in the upper right hand corner is key. When Kurt Stauffer and I were conducting our study of posthumous Purple Hearts that was eventually published in the November 1985 issue OMSA Journal (The Medal Collector), we noted that the actual issuance of the medal ranged between 15 and 90 days (usually one to two months) from this date. The delay depended upon the backlog for engraving medals at the Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot at the time the report was received.

post-316-0-36873800-1565543582_thumb.jpg

I don't have the report of death for one of the Purple Hearts I photographed with script engraving, but a letter to the fellow's NOK from Gordon Gray dated May 4, 1949 informs the NOK that the Purple Heart had just been awarded (his PH certificate is dated 25 April 1949, so the May 1949 date is not surprising at all).

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

It's been a while since I first posted this thread.  I pulled Levy's USN personnel file in January of this year.  While it mentioned that he was awarded an Air Medal by the Air Force, the actual citation was not present.  I just received the award card from the Navy last week from a request I submitted in early February (before they closed down due to COVID).  I found the citation to be a very unusual and wanted to post for those who were interested in seeing what the award was actually for.  

Benjamin_Levy-page1_Resized.jpg

Benjamin_Levy-page2_Resized.jpg

Thanks for the follow up on this Air Medal Frank. Persistence pays off and I like the unusual citation as well. Congrats on closing the loop!