Hello from Canada!

matthewsq

Hey all,

I've been on here for a while but have mainly been a lurker and occasional poster. I'd like to get more involved in US militaria now, though, so I think you'll be seeing much more from me.

My name is Quinn, I'm 22 years old and live in Toronto Canada. I've been collecting since I was 8 - my dad used to tell me war stories from my grandpa and great uncles who fought in the second world war, and then take me to the army surplus stores in New Westminster in BC Canada and let me pick out little items. Those are some of my best memories!

My collection is quite small, as I'm a student and have limited funds. I like to focus mainly on finding items on local classifieds and at garage sales, and am especially excited when I can put the name of an owner with an item.

In the history of humans, wars have nearly always been the crux of change. Conflicts like the civil war, war of 1812, WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, etc. were driving forces of change in the everyday lives of people all around the world. These conflicts shook the earth and resulted in massive loss of life and industry; but they got us to where we are now. Collecting militaria gives these conflicts a human aspect - the individual faces of wars past that we cannot forget.

Looking forward to interacting more with this community!

Cheers,

Quinn

Unteroffizer Klaus

Welcome to the forum! Very similar to how I got interested, lol. If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying in college/university?

Welcome to the forum! Very similar to how I got interested, lol. If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying in college/university?

Thank you! It's a great way to get in to the hobby. My grandpa was in the Royal Canadian Artillery in WW2 as a forward observer. He landed a few days after D-Day and fought through France, Holland, and Germany.

My great uncle was a career soldier in the 2nd Camerons (British Army) - he started as a band boy in Palestine and Egypt, went on to fight the Italians and Germans in Africa, and was captured at Tobruk. Busted out of a POW camp in Italy when the country surrendered, then started a partisan band in the mountains of Italy. Eventually met up with the Poles, fought with them for a few weeks, and then back to England to train commandos!

He died when I was young, but I am proud to have met him. I wrote a story about him in grade 2 which he quite liked. We found a suitcase of his stuff after he died, full of notes and silk escape maps, and even a letter from a German soldier written after the war. Very interesting stuff.

I have a few other family war stories, let me know if you want me to share!

As for school, I did an undergrad degree in Biochemistry and am now doing a graduate degree in pharmaceutical research (focusing on synthetic biology).

Cheers,

Quinn

Welcome Northern Neighbor!

(but I have to say "synthetic biology" sounds little too "Skynet" to me!)

Thanks Jerry! Synthetic Bio can get a little whacky sometimes, but it's pretty cool! (No titanium skulls though)

Hi Quinn,

Fellow Canadian and Calgarian here, great to have you aboard!

Pat

Thanks Hazard! I worked in Lethbridge for a while and visited Calgary often. Alberta is a beautiful province.

Hey Quinn, welcome to the forum from another Canuck! I’m in Victoria on the west coast.

Thanks 1canpara! I did my undergrad in Victoria, grew up in Vancouver. West coast will always be home.

I'll give you a shout when I'm in town again and maybe we can grab a brew and chat about helmets B)