AN6540 - period receivers?

matthewsq

Hey all,

I recently picked up this AN6540 with receivers to put on a shelf to decorate my new house. Unfortunately, the GF doesn't like how it looks (surprise), so I'll be passing it on. However, I'm curious about the receivers on this guy - they're unlike any i've seen in other collections on the forum (I'm looking at you, bazelot!), so I'm starting to think they're post war / civilian.

The guy I got it from was an aviation enthusiast but didn't know any history behind the flight helmet. Apparently he got it in Florida 50 years ago (he said it was unissued surplus - I'd believe that considering the great condition it's in), and planned on using it for flying but it didn't fit his head. I'm thinking that he used civilian receivers and installed them himself.

Anyways, I'd like to know your thoughts before I sell it to someone else so I can be fully transparent. I'd also love to find one someday that was actually used and has a name on it.

Thanks gents,

Quinn

post-159322-0-45829700-1565279238.jpeg

Photos of the receiver. Text is:

Telephonics

TDH-39 SER

300 OHMS WT 3.4OZ

CAATC No. IR6-5

Huntington, NY

post-159322-0-58376700-1565279520.jpeg

phantomfixer

Awesome helmet! will it be in the for sale section?

receivers are civilian...When I was in the AF...I had access to cargo 747s and some older ones had headsets on the flight deck with receivers similar to what you have...I noticed the headsets on the cargo 747s because they where the same size as the ANB-H-1 receivers

Awesome helmet! will it be in the for sale section?

receivers are civilian...When I was in the AF...I had access to cargo 747s and some older ones had headsets on the flight deck with receivers similar to what you have...I noticed the headsets on the cargo 747s because they where the same size as the ANB-H-1 receivers

Phantomfixer, thanks for your reply. Once I hit 50 posts, It'll probably show up in the for sale section! Are you interested?

Good to have a conclusive answer regarding the receivers. Too bad they aren't original. At least they look cool!

Cheers,

Quinn

Oh, and, thanks for your service!