Pre WW2 Army Uniforms

oakleaf777

Here are some of my favorites from one of my main areas of interest: US Army Uniforms from the interwar period.

Enlisted pattern khaki service coats from 1st Coastal Artillery Regt (Panama Canal Zone);

Enlisted pattern khaki service coat with crudely made Philippine Department patch and 31st Infantry Regt DUIs (Philippine Islands and China);

Enlisted pattern khaki service coat with Hawaiian Department removable "no-sew" patch and early type collar discs;

Officers pattern M1926 khaki service coat. Has tailor's label from "Ning's, Manila PI." Unknown whether the insignia on the coat are original to it. (Philippine Islands)

post-160238-0-41790800-1565211082_thumb.jpg

I have 2 prewar uniforms from the Panama Canal Zone, both have original collar discs and DUIs, but neither has the red and yellow shoulder patch...

Wow fantastic coats.

One very minor thing,the unit in question will be the Hawaiian Division.

A 20s-30s Hawaiian Department patch.

post-1604-0-77178400-1476558178.jpg

Thanks, I always get the Hawaiian Department and division mixed up. The DUIs on the Manila jacket are 51st inf regt, which I dont believe was ever in the Philippine Islands

Thanks, I always get the Hawaiian Department and division mixed up. The DUIs on the Manila jacket are 51st inf regt, which I dont believe was ever in the Philippine Islands

No the 51st Infantry was never in the PI, a examination of the rears of these DIs will tell if they are 30s ones, with the off chance that this officer maybe in the PI, had this coat made, and then continued wearing it in an assignment later, which would be common. The Yellow Ribbon on the end, is this the China Service, or the American Defense?

At this time, late 30s early 40s the 51st Inf was in the 6th Division, inactivated December 1940, reactivated April 1941 in the 4th Armored Division.

The yellow ribbon is for the American Defense Service medal. Maybe he served in PI sometime during/after Sept 39, but rotated back to the States before 12/7/41 or maybe the ribbon bar was added on later? Unfortunately, theres probably no way to ever know for sure...

The yellow ribbon is for the American Defense Service medal. Maybe he served in PI sometime during/after Sept 39, but rotated back to the States before 12/7/41 or maybe the ribbon bar was added on later? Unfortunately, theres probably no way to ever know for sure...

Amy ghosting of a shoulder patch or a name in it.

These are a great glimpse into the Old Army. If you havent read Coffmans book by the same name you will enjoy hearing about the social culture in which these uniforms were worn- thanks for showing!

Kyle

Are you talking about "The Regulars"? Yes, I am very muck looking forward to reading that after watching a Youtube video of Dr. Coffman talking about the book. There are also some good memoirs available online by old soldiers recounting their time serving in Hawaii and the Philippines in the 30's.