Latest Training Grenade purchase

jmd62

Just looked again with a loupe, just a few spots on top of the blue, comes off easily with a toothpick

I think the green that is visible around the cork on the bottom of the grenade is old glue that was used to install the corks.

Chris

Curious if the spoon has the black paint on the lower section. Probably not but interested. From the picture it looks like a later war fuze, notice the notched, raised " half moon" pin extruding ( and contacting the spoon itself) just above and to the left of the cotter pin hole. That pin design was an added safety feature, designed so if the spoon is gripped to tight the top, forward nose section would not be forced off. I do not see to many grenades with that feature.

More evident on two grenades I pictured. Left one with flat pin, Right with the raised half moon stop. Other than gee whiz info, useful in dating fuzes.Picture also clearly illustrates grenade manufacturers differences in body design. post-180924-0-27725200-1565219165_thumb.jpeg

Curious if the spoon has the black paint on the lower section. Probably not but interested. From the picture it looks like a later war fuze, notice the notched, raised " half moon" pin extruding ( and contacting the spoon itself) just above and to the left of the cotter pin hole. That pin design was an added safety feature, designed so if the spoon is gripped to tight the top, forward nose section would not be forced off. I do not see to many grenades with that feature.

Great information, thanks! I'll have to see if there is some black paint on the lower spoon section. If so, I'll let you know for sure.

James