Fork, Field Mess, M-1926

Gary Ziegler

Gary Ziegler

While out and about in my community in what seemed like a hundred years ago, I ran across an interesting set of forks that looked similar to, but were definitely distinct from, the ones that were in the US military Field Mess Kit that I was issued in the Corps. The handle, bearing the "US" stamp, looked the same, but the tines were longer and the material wasn't corrosion resistant metal - they were tin plated. I took them home, put them in a box, placed them in the attic and forgot about them.

Today, while rummaging through the attic, I ran across these forks. In the photos, the fork on top is the type I was issued while the one on the bottom is the "US" stamped, tin plated version with longer tines.

post-128769-0-87790000-1565124221_thumb.jpg

Gary Ziegler

Here are the 10 forks, the one in the center is the one I was issued. They are definitely different.

post-128769-0-34272400-1565125200_thumb.jpg

Gary Ziegler

According to an article titled, "U.S. Army Field Mess Gear" by David Cole, these forks were issued with mess kits during WWII. Cole writes, "By the beginning of WWII, responsibility for the design and contracting of field mess equipment was Jeffersonville Quarter Master Depot, Specification JQD-2 dated September 3,41. Cole states that, "1941 changed the material of the fork and spoon to tin plated steel". He further notes that, "Known contractors for the fork and spoon, M-1926 are":
Diamond Silverware Company (Diamond logo 1942)
USA Division of International Silver Company (SILCO 1942)
R. Wallace & Sons Company (WALLCO 1941, 1942)
On May 2, 43, Specification JQD 349 for Fork, M-1925 and Specification JQD 350 for Spoon, M-1926 changed the material from tin to silver-plate". These forks bear the manufacturer marks for all 3 companies listed above. The forks are original WWII mess kit issue circa 1941 - 1943.

• 4 months later...

I have a rough edge steel, tin plated mess kit. I'm guessing these forks would match up with it. Does anyone have any info about matching spoons and knives? Or any info on where they can be purchased? Thank you, ~scott