Remembering the Ace of Aces

44-63963

Remember August 6th 1945 was not only the 1st atomic bomb dropping but also the death of Richard Ira Bong the top scoring U. S. ace of WWII from Poplar WI. Fair weather to you Major Bong. Thank you Gerard

aerialbridge

Drove past his memorial with the P38 right off the highway to go from Duluth to Iron River, WI many times during summers in the 60s and 70s, before they built the big visitor center. The bridge connecting Duluth and Superior, WI is named after him. Legend has it that Bong flew his plane "Marge" named after his wife under the Aerial Bridge, but it was actually another P38 pilot.

http://zenithcity.com/archive/legendary-tales/barnstorming-the-aerial-bridge/

Drove past his memorial with the P38 right off the highway to go from Duluth to Iron River, WI many times during summers in the 60s and 70s, before they built the big visitor center. The bridge connecting Duluth and Superior, WI is named after him. Legend has it that Bong flew his plane "Marge" named after his wife under the Aerial Bridge, but it was actually another P38 pilot.

http://zenithcity.com/archive/legendary-tales/barnstorming-the-aerial-bridge/

I've been to the bong museum in Superior many times. they have some great items on display. MoH, British DFC, Dog Tags, and some other items. A static P-38 painted up as Marge. I have a large grouping to one of Bongs wingmen that may end up there some day. They have done a nice job with the museum and displays. If you are in to WW2 AAF, its worth the stop.

JD

aerialbridge

I've been to the bong museum in Superior many times. they have some great items on display. MoH, British DFC, Dog Tags, and some other items. A static P-38 painted up as Marge. I have a large grouping to one of Bongs wingmen that may end up there some day. They have done a nice job with the museum and displays. If you are in to WW2 AAF, its worth the stop.

JD

Nice!