When did USMC P44 trousers prices go crazy (non camo style)

Bob Hudson

Found some Marine Corps P-44 pants the other day thinking they might be worth up to $100 and was shocked when I looked them up on ebay. I decided to ask $650 OBO and sold them for $600!

(PRICES WITH A SLASH THROUGH THEM MEAN A BEST OFFER WAS ACCEPTED BUT EBAY ONLY SHOWS THE ORIGINAL ASKING PRICE WITH THE MARK THROUGH IT, NOT THE ACTUAL SALES PRICE)

0.jpg

Here's some other recent sales (are these a fashion piece in Asia?????).

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 12.54.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 12.55.09 PM.png

A japanese company made repros of them a couple of years ago, both green and frogskin. I guess they became hype among fashionistas.

both green and frogskin. I guess they became hype among fashionistas.

Funny thing is that these green ones are selling for more than many of the frogskin version. In the same estate I found a mint condition pair of 1944 dated Cotton OD Field Trousers that will probably go for 1/6th the price of that HBT pair!

Oh, almost forgot to mention the the nickname I saw for the first time ever in those ebay listings: MONKEY PANTS!

Where did that come from?

RustyCanteen

Oh, almost forgot to mention the the nickname I saw for the first time ever in those ebay listings: MONKEY PANTS!

Where did that come from?

I saw that in the screenshot you posted, and wondered the same thing.

I saw that in the screenshot you posted, and wondered the same thing.

I found that J. Peterman and Buzz Rickson's have used "Monkey Pants" in ads their P44-inspired trousers.

I see repros listed for over $200, but in the non-ebay listings there are many asking over $1,000. I'll bet the person who paid me $600 may themselves will do very well flipping this in on a fashion site. Check out this one -

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 1.52.17 PM.png

This company also made its own design of the famous donkey jacket which is the work coat of the british garbage man. They sold it for £700 IIRC. This coat was very popular among punk rockers and skinheads in the 80s. They were easy to find at fleamarkets and charity shops for next to nothing, between £5 and £10.

It just shows the failure of the new fashion designers, recycling the clothes of the military and the working class.

vintageproductions

They have been hot for years in the Japanese vintage business now they are spreading out to the rest of the Asian vintage business.

The P44 pattern is extremely popular with vintage clothing buyers right now, both tops and trousers. Prices for any of them in halfway decent shape have gone way up, especially with anything near mint skyrocketing. The P41 less so but still in demand, however the Army HBTs never seem to get quite as much interest as the USMC and USN HBTs.

I'm constantly surprised by these prices, but I can only imagine what they're fetching in the Shibuya shops.

I'm constantly surprised by these prices, but I can only imagine what they're fetching in the Shibuya shops.

Mine will be doubled in price no doubt: it's in excellent condition, about as good as it gets unless it had cutter's tags too. I did an estate buyout and these were in a large trunk otherwise fillled full with baby and kids clothes. I had actually gone back for a second round of picking because I wanted to see if there might be something interesting in that one trunk (which was one of many I went through and/or brought home).

Hipsters wear them but after wearing A few times realize they are indeed stupid looking and stop wearing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hipsters wear them but after wearing A few times realize they are indeed stupid looking and stop wearing them

I've heard the Marines in the field ripped off the big pocket. Wonder if it was because they found out it made their butt look big?

Well I'm happy to help a hipster spend too much on a whim.

I've heard the Marines in the field ripped off the big pocket. Wonder if it was because they found out it made their butt look big?

Well I'm happy to help a hipster spend too much on a whim.

Have a set from a Navy Corpsman...he removed the rear pocket.Have his stenciled shirt too.

Have a few others too from used to mint.

The fad will die and as stated its an Asian thing and a hipster deal.The shows here are now over ran with vintage clothing type buyers trying to knock each other out but the trends come and go like gas from a bad burrito.Funny thing is I seen a couple buy a set of tiger for $350...the seller said he sold them "to cheap" I said take the money and run as your tigers were not real.....They were 90s era rip stop surplus store knock offs in a BDU cut.Even had the big ugly doughnut buttons like all US fatiques.He just had the deer in the head light look.He didn't have a clue either.

You can buy repo on ebay.

Once they find that out it will dry up fast.

Look military iwill never go out of fashion ............except that crap grey new digital.

You can buy repo on ebay.

Once they find that out it will dry up fast.

Look military iwill never go out of fashion ............except that crap grey new digital.

Dont underestimate the UCP ACUs!!!! If the monkey-butt P44 HBT stuff can be popular, the gray digital crap may, in the future, have their day as well!!! Anything is possible!

That butt pocket just looks silly on the derriere/arse end of a hipster.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess they wanted an original Fanny Pack.

BILL THE PATCH

That butt pocket just looks silly on the derriere/arse end of a hipster.

You got that right, my God it's hidious

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Posted Image

You can even get p 44 pants on the bay

A really dumb hipster name for them is monkey pants

Monkey shorts !!

Ha ha ha