Vietnam Era Bolo Knife

on-to-berlin

on-to-berlin

I recently acquired this bolo knife. I never saw one or handled one before. So this is for review. Is this correct construction for it? The sheath looks a bit too soft compared to my woodman pals etc. Is that the way they were constructed? Material feels like a very soft canvas.

What would be the rough date for this?

36439085ql.jpg

36439086qi.jpg

36439087mv.jpg

36439088gq.jpg

36439090jv.jpg

THe handle screws in the one posted are not the same as the copy posted but it still isn't like an original in my opinion.I know there have been a few fakes circulating at the shows for several years here.

Here is my CISCO bolo for comparison. I don't have a picture of the sheath but it is different than the one posted. You can compare the handle differences.

post-11546-0-32768000-1564968247_thumb.jpg

on-to-berlin

Good Morning! Thank you for all your comments! I will return the knife to the seller.

Another red flag is the "US" stamped on the scabbard. These were made sterile for SF SOG teams. The box that mine is in is stamped "N.F.S.N."

Which according to noted knife expert Tom Clinton (who sold it to me) meant "No Federal Stock Number".

militariaone

Same exact bolo, now listed on eBay #153592026037 under the "Original Period Items" category.

Awesome :-(

Lance

post-31352-0-13747300-1565030357_thumb.jpg

Went and found the complete Bolo set, so here's the front and back of the sheath. Note that the rivets are different on the throat, and that in the rear view, you can see how substantial the belt loop is and all the stitching. Also note the backside of the rivets are different.

post-11546-0-81950800-1565038524_thumb.jpg

post-11546-0-42570200-1565038531_thumb.jpg

on-to-berlin

The US stamp was the first thing that made me think. But are there actually any pictures in use?

I think in John Plaster’s book on SOG there is a pic of his load out which shows his bolo. I have never seen a pic of one in use.

There are quite a few pictures of the CISO Bolo being carried, you just need to know were to look.

Try Jason Hardy’s books, MAC V SOG: Team History of a Clandestine Army, Volume 1-11.

Best

Martin