M1 liner headband in Kevlar helmet

PaulS

I have a 87 dated PASGT helmet with a 86 dated M1 liner headband. Were M1 liner head bands issued with PASGT helmets until they ran out of stock? The combination seems to work fine.

Also I have PASGT helmet headbands with the metal clips and rings that have velcro loop material between the leather and the nylon material of the band, What was the velcro for? The helmet I was issued had no corresponding velcro hook material in the suspension.

I recently purchased a type of PASGT padding but I can find no contract information. How ever it does have a paper tag with a barcode attached to it like i see on new military clothing. Please see pic 2. Does anyone know when this type of padding was used?

post-9337-0-91666800-1564937481_thumb.jpg

post-9337-0-48910700-1564937503_thumb.jpg

There were a lot of older style sweatbands in the supply system, so if you weren't issued a brand new PASGT (I was and it came with the instruction booklet and a sweatband), you may have got whatever they had on hand.

I think the Velcro is for attaching the straight tabs of the first model helmet cover before they came with loops to go around the suspension.

The pads look like an upgrade kit to combat TBI or something. The rear trapezoidal shaped pad was used in paratrooper helmets to reduce neck injuries also.

Not an expert on these, so others may correct me.

There were a lot of older style sweatbands in the supply system, so if you weren't issued a brand new PASGT (I was and it came with the instruction booklet and a sweatband), you may have got whatever they had on hand.

I think the Velcro is for attaching the straight tabs of the first model helmet cover before they came with loops to go around the suspension.

The pads look like an upgrade kit to combat TBI or something. The rear trapezoidal shaped pad was used in paratrooper helmets to reduce neck injuries also.

Thank you MattS.

• 3 weeks later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

What do these first model helmet covers look like

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-18445900-1567058983_thumb.jpg

Here is a Natick image from June 1980, before the PASGT was adopted, the straps that loops around the suspension and velcro's back to the cover can be see.

post-153751-0-80647200-1567058978.jpg

This is a Natick photo from 7 Dec 1982, because the cover is made from ERDL I assume it is from a couple years earlier. My guess is late 1979 or early 1980. Other Natick photographs from 1980 show an ERDL cover that is identical to production covers, at least on the outside.

From this I think it is very likely that all production PASGT covers velcro back to themselves.

post-153751-0-08291700-1567059092_thumb.jpg

The only PASGT cover I have seen that may not velcro to itself is the single piece, 10 pleat version from 1978 and 1979. Is this the first model you refer too or is it another one?