Dragon on my Back

Dirk

I have had the pleasure of seeing enough China Marine bring back embroidery to know I don't care for the post-war stuff, as much as the pre-war stuff. I just find the pre-war items to be more finely executed, and utilize far better materials. But occasionally I come across a piece that challenges that assumption. This uniform, found by a fellow Forum member is named to a Marine Mustang, who enlisted in 1936, and during WWII became an Communications officer. Seeing some combat in the Philippines and Okinawa he would embark for Peiping China at the end of the war, spending his China time with the First Air Wing at the Peiping West airfield, before returning home and joining the reserves. There is not much special about this uniform.The Marine apparently was a thrifty individual who when the Marines discarded the SSI, merely had his removed and stuffed in the pocket, to be found 60 years later. In fact this jacket was the same one he acquired for his commissioning, made by a smalltime tailor near the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7630.JPG

IMG_7628.JPG

But one interesting feature of this jacket, the Marine added while in China, was a dragon on the inside back of the jacket's lining. Whoever he chose to create the dragon was a fantastic embroider. As good as any pre-war embroidery work seen by me at least. I have interviewed a number of Pre- and Post War China Marines. No Pre-war Marine ever remembers seeing a dragon added to anyones uniform. Some Post-War Marines heard of it possibly being done, but none personally added one. They all agreed, if done, it was against regulations. Well apparently this old Marine, who became a food inspector after his service, must not have cared.....as his expression in his official photos seems to hint at. So what we have is a small work of art for the owners own personnel enjoyment to remind him of his China days, who could quietly laugh knowing that as his official photo was taken later in his Reserve career, there behind him, sat a silk dragon.

IMG_5346.JPG

IMG_5345.JPG

IMG_5349.jpg

jeremiahcable

That's a beautiful blouse, my friend. It fits into your collection perfectly. It's interesting that in his file photo he's not wearing all the ribbons he rated, but as you said his facial expression is that of a man that didn't seem to care too much. Great piece!

J thank you! And thank you for pointing me in the right direction on this one....I am sure Morris will be pleased his service is remembered!

That is awesome most certainly one of the nicest direct embroidered examples I have seen! Great find with that one for sure!

Beautiful jacket and great research! Fairly similar to a Vandegrift I have from an occupation China marine, different design but similar dragon elements. Definitely not common and very cool!

I like it!

Back in 2002 I had a service dress blue jacket tailored with gold silk and had dragons embroidered in the lining. It was really cool. Unfortunately, I loaned it out to another officer who had forgotten his jacket underway and never got it back. :(

Again, thanks all for the comments! Would welcome seeing any other dragon embellishments that our members have in their collections!

Dave bummer about not getting that jacket back...sounds like a unique piece.....I can just see 50 years from now it showing up on the Forum and the members debating if the Navy allowed such things to be done and what research the "owner" discovered about the officer that had it made. :)

Here is the jacket I have. Named and identified to a marine with the 1st Division who got overseas too late to see action (ribbons wrong) but served throughout the occupation of China where he had it done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those are wicked, especially the OP dragon. Very detailed embroidery on both jackets.

Thanks for sharing gents.

Martin

• 2 years later...

Here is my father-in-law's. Having trouble with the image not wanting to be right side up. It nearly got away from us when we were selling a box of uniforms. I plan to have the lining removed and framed with some other of his items. It is strange to me that he did this to an official uniform. He did not seem like a rule breaker to me, nor a "fancy" guy who would want something like this. Perhaps a group of his fellow soldiers went and did it together.

20220426_165114.jpg

Timberwolf
6 minutes ago, Notinks said:

Here is my father-in-law's. Having trouble with the image not wanting to be right side up. It nearly got away from us when we were selling a box of uniforms. I plan to have the lining removed and framed with some other of his items. It is strange to me that he did this to an official uniform. He did not seem like a rule breaker to me, nor a "fancy" guy who would want something like this. Perhaps a group of his fellow soldiers went and did it together.

20220426_165114.jpg

That's a great uniform, I would highly recommend not removing the lining though!!!

Just now, Timberwolf said:

That's a great uniform, I would highly recommend not removing the lining though!!!

I hate to do it, too but would love to display it in a frame. Not sure how else to do that. 

ludwigh1980

The liner is original to the jacket. Many of those jackets were made in China with the embroidered lining and are sought after by Collectors. 

Timberwolf
8 minutes ago, Notinks said:

I hate to do it, too but would love to display it in a frame. Not sure how else to do that. 

Could you just turn it inside out and display it that way? A lot of framing shops will frame a whole uniform, no sense in destroying/altering a uniform that's been that way for 70 years!

Yes, please don’t pull the lining out….that is a very nice piece with excellent bright colors! Btw this was a popular thing to have added to the uniform during the post war period were rules were somewhat relaxed.