How would I remove helmet graffiti?

MilitariaMan

MilitariaMan

No i don't mean original helmet graffiti but I have some graffiti I put on a vietnam helmet cover a while ago and would like to remove it now. The marker is pretty set in at this point and I tried using the isopropyl alcohol method but it leaves a shadow of the line I made. Would soaking it in a rubbing alcohol bucket work? Or maybe some combination of water and alcohol? Any info is good but I would prefer methods that completely remove the old stain or come as close to it as possible. I just want to make sure that putting it in the alcohol solution doesn't make all the marker run and ruin the cover. Thanks in advance.

Andrew

If its a Mitchell, they are cheap as chips. Just buy another one - I know, likely not the type of answer you are after.

MilitariaMan

Ok I ended up putting it in a solution of water and isopropyl alcohol and it turned out ok. It actually aged the cover pretty well. It faded all the graffiti which looked pretty nice and as well I blurred out the graffiti I didnt want afterward and now it isn't really readable. Just like some of the original helmets on which there are a few layers of graffiti because the elements washed some away