Modern production WWII Corcorans vs. originals

Bazooka Joe

I'm planning on buying a pair of jump boots soon, and have been recommended to buy Corcorans, but I'm sure I've read that they are not the same as original WWII production, and use white plastic midsoles. Is this correct?

If so, which brand of repro's are the most faithful to the originals, both in quality and appearance?

Any comments or recommendations?

Cheers

Joe

I'm planning on buying a pair of jump boots soon, and have been recommended to buy Corcorans, but I'm sure I've read that they are not the same as original WWII production, and use white plastic midsoles. Is this correct?

If so, which brand of repro's are the most faithful to the originals, both in quality and appearance?

Any comments or recommendations?

Cheers

Joe

Oh boy, you are going to open one really big can of worms here with that question.

I really haven't found that having white insoles is that much of a bother when it comes to not limping the next week at work.

I do believe that the Corcorans are just Corcarans in name only and made currently by another boot company.

As I do primarily a legg impression I will yield the floor to our esteemed Airborne boot types for their input.

I use a version of Brazilian manufacturing that is adopted by the national army. It is not identical, but the to improvise.

post-5589-0-76207200-1403542007.jpg

post-5589-0-50532400-1403542013.jpg

Brazilian paratrooper

i own 2 pairs of Corcorans and 1 pair of Asian manufactured Repop-Jumpboots ...

The Corcorans (1 pair size 11 - 1 pair size 11.5) both came in the typical Corcoran boxes and where brandnew when i purchased them.

The price 6 years ago was about 110 Dollars each pair!

I didn't see any white plastics on the Corcorans yet - even not on the insole ...

Compared to the Corcorans the material of the chinese made Jumpboots is more on the stiff side!

Currently most of WW2 Repop-manufaturers produces or resells Jumpboots so maybe it's worth spending some time comparing prices / conditions of ATF, WW2 Imp. and WPG before buying "real" Corcorans ...

So far what i heard WW2 Imp. sells very fine footwear ...

Before we descend any further into the depths of Farb City, does anyone who owns a pair of modern production WWII Corcorans, or ATF repro Jump Boots have any comments on my original post?

I've got a pair of the ATF 'jump boots' and have compared them to my mates genuines, they seem pretty spot on in basically every way to me. Not sure what you mean by white plastic midsoles? You've got to take into consideration however, Corcoran werent the only maker of jump boots. Endicott johnson made them, International Shoe Co, that's two of the top of my head, but there's more i believe. I was a bit wary when i first got mine, because the color seemed a little on the light side and dull looking, but i presume thats the color they were when issued. Got to remember when we're looking at period photos, we're looking at boots that have been dirtied, then cleaned, then polished after polished after polished, after cleaned after polished etc, and oiled, and darkened in the process. I wore mine around for a week and then started spit polishing them up, and now they look the part, beautiful healthy dark brown, shiny all over, just need some leather laces and i'm set. If i had my time over again though (i didnt know Corcoran still made them at the time i bought mine) i would definately buy the Corcoran reruns, they just seem like an even better made boot, and the color is that little bit darker out of the box. But if you can only afford the ATF version, go for it, they are well made and as said, spot on to the originals. The only problem i have with them is that, the tops of the boot, around the leg, seem too wide, i can't lace them up tight, before the leather on each side, overlaps/touches at the front. I put it down to the fact that i'm a little guy, but i'm a dead ringer for the average soldier in WWII and they never seemed to have a problem with this, judging by original boots. I do have very tiny legs however, so really i can't say if its a problem or not. What i was considering however, is that, there seem to be a LOT of 'bigger' reenactors about, that need catering for, and ATF are always being hounded for the bigger sizes, so i'm wondering if they had their boots made, with the wider leg area to compensate. I mean, you only have one size 10, not one size 10 for fat legs and another for skinny legs, so maybe they tried to kill two birds with one stone. Maybe i'm just overly skinny, i DO need to put on a bit of weight, but as said, if ATF have made them bigger in that area, it's not accurate, originals have tiny leg areas.

Before we descend any further into the depths of Farb City, does anyone who owns a pair of modern production WWII Corcorans, or ATF repro Jump Boots have any comments on my original post?

I have had both , and liked them booth , the ATF boots are a touch wider which I liked. I have not worn the ATF boots much they look good on, but the newer Corcorans lasted for years of rough use, I think you would be happy with either, I was dissapointed that they only go up to a 13, as I would be better off in a 14 wide.

Fantastic posts guys! Thanks very much indeed for your help, you've just settled it for me! It's going to be the Corcorans for definite now, (I've had similar problems with overly wide boot tops before!)

Cheers

Joe

It would be great if you could let me know when you get them, how wide the tops are, or if they are overly wide, i may just get a pair myself and sell mine off. Cheers.

Thats another thing i forgot to mention btw (oops) yes, ATF are ALL made on a wide last, and they are that little bit wider around the base area, thats no worry though as originals came both ways, but ATF only do the wide, they are a better fit for most anyway (IMHO)

No worries Blake, shall do!

I'll be ordering them on Monday, and if all goes well I should have them within a week or so.

All the best.

Joe

I have owned over the,oh my gawd,too many decades many jump boots.In service in the early 80's it was both Corchran and H&H modern black's, (although black,dead on to the originals).I currently own; a pair of the new Corchrans,H&h's,chinese knock-offs and ATF's.I love them all,though the chinese one's were black and sprayed "Kona Brown",they are one eyelet too short,but they are fairly comfy,cost me $20.00 and nearly bullet proof,so I wear them if there is danger of foot-wear destruction.The Corchran's are spit shined for dress wear and the H&H's are spare and the ATF's are my most always wear,(to my poor neuropathy ridden feet,the most comfortable of all).I will add that the large uppers are actually normal,if the original patterns are followed in as

people in "the day" did alot more walking and activity,thus large muscling.Not alot of help I know,but for my money ATF's all the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, I've just received my Corcorans (pretty quickly in my opinion, well done SOF!) and I've measured the boot tops as promised. They are exactly 30cm in external circumference (that's about 11 3/4"). I bought a UK size 10, which I presume is a US size 11.

First impressions;

Thin leather, much thinnner than any military boots I've ever owned or been issued (apart from some Danish 'Hot Weather Boots' that I have).

The laces are a wildly orange color and seem a bit thin. Luckily I bought some extra laces and they are much thicker and a better color.

They seem quite comfy straight from the box, so I don't think breaking them in will be a big problem.

I've heard some bad stuff about the leather being coated with some sort of laquer/paint which makes it difficult to get the leather to absorb polish, but I'll have to wait and see how this goes.

Cheers

Joe

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I've owned the black corcorans, the ATF Repro's and the Corcoran Browns:

The Corcoran brown jump boots look good enough and they shine up similar to the black ones. They're real boots made to real military specs. Tough and durable.

The ATF Repro's are absolutely beautiful to look at. They're the most realistic repro I've seen. They're softer leather than original boots and don't take a shine the same way either. When I first got them I was convinced that they'd fall apart after a couple of events. They lasted for four years so far without any failures. I've done 5 battles a year plus training and parades and such. They've never failed and I'd recommend them. Make sure to keep plenty of polish on them to protect them. I dyed mine and shined them up but it wore off after a day in the field.

Rock

Cheers Joe, would seem i just have overly skinny chicken legs then LOL :P

Although i dont have my boots in front of me, i just measured my leg and compared to that measurement.

• 1 month later...

This white mid-section of the soles is, from what i can gather, a more modern shock absorbent layer to the boots. It's really easy to hide with a marker or some well placed polish because the originals (although manufactured by more than Corcoran, amazing eh?) didnt have them. The coating to the boots can be removed, but its a method that, if done wrong, WILL ruin the boots. I personally used a thin layer of Nitromors to strip it like paint, but did it next to a big sink of water to wash it off instantly before it began removing the upper surface of the leather. It makes the jumpboots extremely light and dull at first but after a few tins of polish and some serious elbow grease look spot on, even when put next to a pair of originals. I know a lot of guys have left these coating on and just done a few events or gone for walks in them and it has, on the most part, removed itself.

Regards, Bez