"Swagger Spike" of U.S. Army Major General Frank. W. Milburn.

The Rooster

The Rooster

Greetings all.

I thought this item deserved a post of its own so here it is.

It is the swagger spike that belonged to Major General Frank W Milburn.

He made 3 star before his retirement in 1952.

Here is a link to film clips of the general on critical past.

In the first clip, he is looking at maps on the hood of his jeep in Korea. Prob because I want it to be there…. I think I see the pommel sticking out on the right side of the items on the hood of the jeep.

From 09-17 you can see it. Hard to tell. Prob wishful thinking on my part. After you remove the sheath// the blade is a 4 sided spike. Its a little bigger than a conductors baton but is a wicked spike!!

Doesn't look so bad with the sheath covering it but the spike is mean looking. Solid too. The handle has round leather stacked washers and I found today that the Generals Initials

are engraved on the end of the pommel. Its a swagger stick fitting for a fighting General. Unfortunately the blade had a lot of rust on it. The sheath where the nameplate is attached is a metal

cylinder with a four hole guide inside it to guide the blade. The rest of the sheath is very fragile leather. Maybe it had a tip on it at one time?

https://www.criticalpast.com/stock-footage-video/Frank+W+Milburn

Thank you.

post-181333-0-03751200-1564702713_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

3 Its also very fitting that I pose this with cigarettes as the General prob smoked 2 - 3 packs a day? Judging by every video clip Ive seen of the man .. He is always smoking.

Those are the symbols of the XXI Corps. Only commanded by him during WW2 and the 1st infantry division commanded by him 1946-1949.

He was in charge of I corps for about 8-9 months during the Korean War.

post-181333-0-02393100-1564702828_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

4 The General got in a bit of trouble at the end of the war by chatting with a captured Von Rundstat and having dinner with him.

Milburns unit captured Von Rundstat.

They ended up dropping the charge of fraternizing with the enemy.

post-181333-0-14673300-1564702973_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

Last

I got this item in a lot of 5 swaggers. The seller made no mention of this item and only 1 shot of the nameplate.

I was fortunate to pick it up.

post-181333-0-54135800-1564703148_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

Excellent personal item, thanks for posting it.

BKW

Thank you Brian.

Here is a copy of General Milburns Silver Star Citation from Korea.

I cant find much about him on the net. He seems to have been a General that didnt

get much press. I think he was more about doing his job than putting on a show.

Thats the feeling Im getting. From the little I can find about the Man.

Frank William Milburn DATE OF BIRTH: January 11, 1892 PLACE OF BIRTH: Jasper, Indiana

Frank Milburn graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, Class of 1914. He retired as a U.S. Army Lieutenant General in 1952.

AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION: 4 of 5

31-medal.png

Silver Star AWARDED FOR ACTIONS

DURING Korean War Service: Army Rank: Lieutenant General Division: I Corps GENERAL ORDERS:

Headquarters, VIII Army, General Orders No. 90 (1950) & G.O. 567 (1951)

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of a Second Award of the Silver Star to Lieutenant General Frank William Milburn (ASN: 0-3738), United States Army, for gallantry in action. During the period of 6 September 1950 through 28 September 1950, General Milburn commanded the I Corps in an attack against an assaulting, aggressive enemy. The attack involved shifting from defense to offense with depleted troops that had been beaten back repeatedly by an enemy superior in numbers. General Milburn planned and launched the attack, broke the enemy offensive and main line of resistance and crossed the Naktong river. The attack unfolded over difficult terrain including mountains and the Naktong river against heavy opposition. During this period General Milburn was forward with the frontline units directing and encouraging them to seize assigned objectives without delay. His presence, enthusiasm, leadership and fearlessness inspired his command to victorious assault. With skill and shrewd tactics General Milburn led his command to envious victory. His gallantry, heroism and valor reflected credit on himself, his command and the military service.