M16A1 Training Dummy Rifle Ft. Benning from Pawn Shop...

Morlok

thats a really nice find, does it have the same weight of a real M16? thats going to make a cool display piece / training rifle / movie prop

thats a really nice find, does it have the same weight of a real M16? thats going to make a cool display piece / training rifle / movie prop

These Army-made pieces were made to be the same weight as the original.

Here's a thread about the making of these M-16 rubber ducky rifles: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/233751-rubber-ducky-m16a1/

Thanks for the info & replies!! The weight seems to be exactly the same as the real ones. The barrel is metal, and seems to be a genuine piece. The bayonet & sling are genuine USGI items. I imagine someone added them at some point. The bayonet is marked "M9 Lan-Cay USA". From what I can find, the scabbard appears to be a USMC item.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting how it is a M16A2 upper and a M16A1 lower. I have used GI “rubber ducks” throughout my career at several posts but I haven’t seen one that was made from an A1 and an A2. I’ve seen A1, A2 and M4 rubber rifles but this one is unusual. The A1 versions are always the best quality. I imagine Ft Benning training support cranked out thousands of this example so I’ll be there are many more out there. These were/are used mostly for bayonet training, parades/color guards, or training that presents a high risk of weapon loss or damage.

Also, the bayonet doesn’t match the scabbard. As mentioned above, it is a USMC OKC-3S scabbard and a M9 bayonet. They were never issued together.