ERDL Beret with CCN Patch

FT.Monmouth1943

FT.Monmouth1943

Recently picked up this nice Vietnamese made Rip-Stop ERDL beret. The beret has a corpsman badge on the front and a CCN Recon Virginia patch under the foil. I'm not sure if the corpsman badge is original to the beret because it's in unissued condition, and although it's hard to see in the photos, it looks like a shield shaped pin was there beforehand. The CCN patch looks like an original Japanese made piece, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It looks like it's been there for a while though. I moved it a little bit and in the photo you can see the shadow from where it was, so it's definitely been there for awhile. The story with this piece is that it was picked up in the 70's in California. Sadly it's not named, but still a neat piece. All comments are welcome, and if you'd like to see more pictures let me know.

- Jakob

post-134998-0-73362700-1564693236_thumb.jpg

post-134998-0-11381400-1564693279_thumb.jpg

This is an oddball. I've never seen a patch under the plastic liner like that before.

The ERDL material looks correct.

The lettering that you see on the CCN Virginia patch suggests to me it was made in Okinawa.

The Medical Corpsman badge does not make a lot of sense with this, as this is a Navy/ USMC badge. The Army had it's own medics who who would have been assigned to such a unit.

FT.Monmouth1943

Thanks. The corpsman badge is definitely throwing me off. It's hard to see in the photo, but it looks like a a shield shaped beercan was there before the corpsman badge. You can see a pin hole on the front above the badge and a rust stain from a pin on the back side (between the corpsman badge pins). The only thing that would make sense to me is if the soldier switched branches and became a corpsman or if he traded the beret to a corpsman.

I like it. I wouldn’t think to much about the Corpsman badge, I would just take it off. But that’s just me.

I guess your inbox is working on overtime now.

Best

Martin

FT.Monmouth1943

That's great! Glad it looks good. Here's a picture with the corpsman badge removed. There's two other pin holes from another badge (probably a beercan insignia) being there.

post-134998-0-61276300-1564787667_thumb.jpg

Yiu never know if the guy transfers over ?Real all round I like Owen Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going from the Army to Navy Corpsman is very possible, especially post war in the Reserves.

I remember the Naval Reserve in Dallas actively recruiting medical and civil engineer vets from any service.

• 7 months later...