WWI Meritorious Services Citation Certificate Awarded Purple Heart

kcmo

Like most collectors who purchase early engraved 1930's Purple Hearts you always hope if it has not yet been researched that it is possibly a pre-WWI or MSCC Purple Heart. Most of the time it isn't but every once in a while you get lucky which is the case in this medal.

Major Earl H. Rosemere appears to have served since 1898 and eventually accepted a commission in 1917. During WWI he reached the rank of Major eventually being reduced to Captain in 1920. During WWI he operated at the Motor Transportation Corp Reconstruction Park where three units of approximately 1,150 men each that worked in a 1,000 acre MTC reconstruction park in Vermeuil, Nievre in central France. The reconstruction park was the end of the line for service vehicles. While at the overhaul park, when the repair of a vehicle exceeded 30% of the initial costs, they were sent to the reconstruction park for salvage. This is where he was awarded this MSCC.

I was not able to find much online for his post WWI career but in one article it appears he may have ended up being a warden at Alcatraz Prison before it was turned into a Federal Prison but I have yet to locate any concrete proof of this. If this is true he had a very diversified career.

Very happy to add this rarer purple heart to my collection.

post-114166-0-46103600-1564596912.jpg

post-114166-0-61476900-1564596920_thumb.jpg

post-114166-0-12002500-1564596934_thumb.jpg

Publication: The Boston Globe

Issue Date: Friday, July 12, 1935

Page: 17

MAJ EARL H. ROSEMERE WASHINGTON, July 11 (A P)

Funeral services with full military honors were held in Arlington National Cemetery today for Maj Earl H. Rosemere, retired, who died at his home in Cambridge, Md, July 9. Maj Rosemere, a native of Roxbury. Mass, enlisted in the army in 1898 and served in the ranks until 1904, when he was commissioned in the Quartermaster Corps. He retired after 30 years service in October, 1930.

Publication: San Francisco Chronicle

Issue Date: Tuesday, August 10, 1915

Page: Page 6

The following Quartermaster-Sergeants are ordered to Fort McDowell in time to sail from here to Manila on October 5th, Earl H Rosemere Vancouver Barracks Wash DC

Note: There was more than Earl’s name, but I’m just showing Earl’s name because I couldn’t make out the others names due to way the article was OCR’d.

To answer a question first on the AGO card there are several researchers who can pull it for you for a fee. I use Lori from RedBird for this for any WWI or earlier Purple Heart.

Matt,

Thanks for all the additional research especially confirming him as a warden at Alcatraz. I had thought that was probably post-WWI but as his son was born there in 1910, my assumption was incorrect. Interesting that a QM Officer was a warden and someone with a Police background.

Matt,

Thanks for all the additional research especially confirming him as a warden at Alcatraz. I had thought that was probably post-WWI but as his son was born there in 1910, my assumption was incorrect. Interesting that a QM Officer was a warden and someone with a Police background.

You're welcome. Rosemere got around. He seems to have had a very interesting career for sure.