Schools at War flag, 5th award

trenchrat1918

trenchrat1918

Here is a flag presented to schools during the war for enrollment in war bond sales. This one is interesting because of the 5 stars on the lower corner that indicates they met the 90 percent enrollment qouta 5 times in a row. In order to earn this award 90 + Percent of the students had to be regularly buying war bonds or stamps.

The flag itself was manufactured by The Valley Forge flag co and is quite large, measuring 5'x4'. The gomets are sewn. Unfortunately there is heavy staining throughout the flag which is a cotton muslin.Posted Image

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That is really cool, a rare flag on its own and really special with the extra awards! In my research I know that the Treasury ones continued to be used after the war, I wonder of these continued on as well? (As a side note I was talking to my Dad about his experiences as kid during the war and he remembered buying the war bond stamps in class for .10, he said the rich kids got the .25 ones! )

trenchrat1918

That is really cool, a rare flag on its own and really special with the extra awards!  In my research I know that the Treasury ones continued to be used  after the war, I wonder of these continued on as well? (As a side note I was talking to my Dad about his experiences as kid during the war and he remembered buying the war bond stamps in class for .10, he said the rich kids got the .25 ones! )

The staining made me a little hesitant to buy this flag but I couldn't pass it up, the price was right. I know the school program started on 1942 but I have not been able to find an end date in my research. My gut makes me think the school program probably continued at least into the 50's. Minimum wage in 1942 was only 30 cents so a quarter for a kid would have been quite a bit.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk