Red square on fixed bail helmet

Pbaczuk

Hi all, I found a really rough fixed bail helmet with a red square on the front and back. In the Marine Corps, I remember Landing Support Battalion Marines who wore little red patches on cover and trousers. I don't think these Marines were organized like that in WW2 . Has anyone else seen the little red squares?

post-162927-0-70777400-1564530113_thumb.jpg

post-162927-0-14336800-1564530134_thumb.jpg

This set has been together for a very long time, quite possibly since new. Heat lot #161, front seam/fixed bail.

Hawley liner w/fixed chin strap. So yes, I think the Marines were organized like that early on during WW2.

My Uncle was a 5th Mar Div Marine and he said they were given red paint to paint red squares on their trousers for Red Beach...this was for the assault on Iwo.

Burning Hazard

I remember reading somewhere that red or orange squares on USMC helmet covers were for demolitions.

Pat

At the Army Surplus store in Ashboro, NC they've had a rear seam, swivel bail (no chin straps) helmet shell on the shelf for some time that has a red square on the front and a red square on the back, They are both the same size and color of red as the ones shown in this post. I have no idea what they mean.

Molan, my iPad autocorrected to Milan.. I apologize for not catching it. For Tarbridge, what role did your uncle have on Iwo Jima -aside from just surviving? Did he ever share that with you?

Before assualting Red Beach while on shipboard...they were told to paint squares with red paint on their trouser legs.He always assumed it stood for Red Beach.They were first wave assault Infantry...he was an Infantryman.

stealthytyler

Some Navy Beach Platoons (not to be confused with ETO beach battalions) in the PTO were ordered to paint a 2 inch yellow circle on their shoulder and knee as well as their helmet to identify as "shore party". Maybe these red squares are attributed to a similar team that was confined to the beachhead?

ArchangelDM

Square was added to the helmet or clothing to identify them as non combatants when on the beach. They where there to remove the wounded/dead bring supplies etc.

Not saying they didnt get into it with the enemy but they are there to control and supply the beach head.

Red square would stop units pulling them forward into battle

- Dean

huntssurplus

I have a ww2 front swivel bail helmet with a red painted square on the front and one on the back. Has postwar chin straps though. Not sure if it was painted during ww2 or postwar.

Hunt

I ended up picking this one up from Pbaczuk, here are some more pictures of the original helmet in question if anyone is interested. Overall pretty rough but it a lot of the original paint still managed to hold in there. Unfortunately the inside of the shell got the worst of the rust and is pretty toasty. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that this one is actually a FB Schlueter! I've got a few swivel bails in my collection but this is my first FB Schlueter.

post-169952-0-92749900-1565050919.jpg

post-169952-0-34108900-1565050924.jpg