Civil War US Marine USMC carte de visite photograph

With the help of a fellow collector, I was able to identify this guy as a USMC serving in the Civil War.

He wears a regulation 7 button frock coat with two cuff buttons and the white buff leather. His SGT stripes are inverted and while I cannot discern the letter "M" in the bugle-- there is definitely something in the badge:

post-124583-0-61546900-1564520501.jpeg post-124583-0-84952400-1564520515.jpeg

post-124583-0-24831400-1564520528.jpeg post-124583-0-87592800-1564520539.jpeg

Photograph is by Prince of New Orleans, so this guy appears to have served in one of the gulf coast ships.

I am not attached to this one, so it will probably go to the for sale section in the next few weeks.

Scott

Thanks much, Mike.

Enjoyed talking with you at Chattanooga and I appreciate your business!

Scott

His uniform matches the USMC regulations: 7 button frock coat with stand up collar and two cuff buttons, inverted chevrons, white buff leather gear and hat insignia (cannot completely discern the "M").

Scott

The NCO sword as well with buff sliding frog helps too. BTW Louis Prince, the photographer, was active at that address during the civil war. Nice image!

• 3 months later...

Can't believe I missed this one. Phenomenal image. I have a portrait of a bearded private in this uniform, but it is much less clear than this one

• 1 year later...