Just a kid with a love for our vets and their stories

MetroPD

Hello, everyone!

So I have been meaning to post an introduction here for some time, but am just getting around to it now. I am likely one of the younger members on this website, being 16 years old, but I have always been collecting anything related to the military for as long as I can remember. I have always talked to vets whenever I get the chance, and never skipped on a trip to the local army navy store haha. I try to make a point to collect not only period items, but to put them together in such a way that is accurate to how they would have been found. For instance, I have put together a Vietnam War M1 Pot helmet from entirely period parts (my first completed period-item), and have brought it to Vietnam vets I have grown to know over the years to get their opinions on it, as well as anything they observed about the use of the helmets during their time in the service. Currently, my "bigger" items are the aforementioned M1 helmet, two 1960's German NATO field telephones, a complete WWII dress-uniform (named and complete with images and other literature), and a January of 1942 production M1 "Garand" rifle.

All in all, my hopes for this site are to join a larger community in which I can learn from and contribute to.

Please do let me know of any mistakes I might make regarding the form as a FNG lol

- Ryan

tdogchristy90

Welcome aboard Ryan, nice introduction.

I remember falling in love with history and making it my degree and profession. I consider myself one of the young bucks, only in my 30s. I think you'll enjoy it here, there is a lot of neat things to see and a very large knowledge base. Enjoy.

Hi Ryan, and welcome to the forums!

Really good introduction. I’m glad you have an understanding of the importance of the history beyond just the items themselves, and the connection to veterans. As collectors, I know we focus on the little details of specific items, but with each item there is a story and a history all it’s own.

Welcome to the forums.

North Carolina, Florida, and Georgia; well. well, this Yankee has done jumped in to a southern revival ! First off welcome. Ya'll will find an absolute trove of wonderful info from theses guys and gals. Being fairly new here myself, I have discovered this. My only caution is don't be like me and collect all sorts of dis-associated stuff. Thought fun and educational, it takes up a lot of space. For now, pick a period or category, then go for it.

Welcome, dude!

I've been collecting since I was a youngster too, and you remind me alot of myself. Your Vietnam lid sounds sweet, and its great that you're talking to vets. Take the chance now to get to know them and appreciate them before they're gone. I remember being a cub scout in the 2000's and seeing all the veterans at the November 11th parades in Vancouver... now, there's hardly any left alive to be there.

Looking forward to seeing posts from you!

Quinn

Thank you all for your warm welcomes and complements! I can tell already I’ve made a great decision to join this forum simply by your responses. Immediate smile on my face opening up my browser today haha. I hope to see y’all around the forum in the coming weeks, months, Hell, years? I’ll have to spend more time here exploring the site and it’s features so I can really get the most out of my time here. Again, I thank you all for your welcoming messages, and I wish all the same to you.

-Ryan

Welcome Ryan, fellow North Carolinian here. I started collecting when I was 16 as well and most of my knowledge has come from this forum so read as much as you can!

Jacob