BLOODY SIXTEEN:The USS Oriskany And Air Wing 16 During the Vietnam War

Maverickson

Maverickson

Hi All,

A good non fiction read for those interested in the Air War in Vietnam. Specifically detailing the Oriskany's Air Wing during to the height of the air war in Vietnam. All of special interest to me because my late father's direct participation as the Air Operations officer to three Air Wing 16 CAG's. A position he held from 1966 through 1968 and an active participant. He is in fact mentioned a hand full of times in the book.

The author Peter Fey does a fine job with his narrative detailing the extraordinary sacrifices and efforts surrounding the entire Air Wing. He also touches on the McCain shoot down. In this case, the author is a more specific and does a much more revealing job than any I've read before.

A synopsis of that days events that lead up to the McCain shoot down can be read here https://unpblog.com/2018/05/21/excerpt-bloody-sixteen-the-uss-oriskany-and-and-air-wing-16-during-the-vietnam-war/?fbclid=IwAR2FzgN8SiyQ-m2_KdFV8FVU5L0z027FihZjwnFzrGOtzKDzoAG-s3hbT7U

Cheers, Dave

The Rooster

Great article Dave,

Thank you.

I got a chance to tour the Oriskany in 1972. It was docked next to the USS Hankock at Alemeda Naval Air station.

Back from Vietnam. I was a 9 year old cub scout. Was really impressed with the size of the ship and the TV station they ran onthe ship

and the escalator like you'd find in a dept store for the pilots to ride up to the flight deck.

Was sad when they sunk her. I've stil got my honorary crew mwmbwer button from the Oriskany.

Dave