AWARDS WORN ABOVE THE MOH RIBBON

BEAST

I was searching through a database looking for photos of Jonas Ingram when I happened to run across this one. Since most photos do not show him wearing any awards above his MOH ribbon, I assume he was coming from an awards ceremony were he was presented with these two awards. This was taken in Recife Brazil. Sorry about the quality of the second photo.

post-203-0-17411800-1564406620_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-71491900-1564406625_thumb.jpg

johnnyrocket

This is indeed strange.

Usually they present the actual medal instead of the ribbon. It also appears that he has now received two Navy Cross(s) I think the image is showing two Navy Cross ribbons.

Another interesting fact is the Christian flag s the only flag that can be flown "above" the American flag only if their is a military burial at sea

Look at this one which says:

Photographed while serving as Commander, Fourth Fleet and Commander, South Atlantic, Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, circa 1942-1944.

There is something above, as well:

post-151812-0-11923000-1564408287.jpg

A painting with that ribbon above the MOH:

post-151812-0-49156500-1564408351.jpg

Oil on canvas by John B. Alwes, crew member of USS Melville (AD-2). Courtesy of the U.S. Navy Art Collection, Washington, D.C.

This is indeed strange.

Usually they present the actual medal instead of the ribbon. It also appears that he has now received two Navy Cross(s) I think the image is showing two Navy Cross ribbons.

Another interesting fact is the Christian flag s the only flag that can be flown "above" the American flag only if their is a military burial at sea

Looking at https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/2047#52786, Ingram received only one Navy Cross and three Navy DIstinguished Service Medals which have a similar looking ribbon.

If the colour from the oil painting is true, I can't find something he was awarded that matches. Not yet, anyway. The only thing the colour is similar to is the OBE, but that shouldn't have a center device.

Look at this one which says:

Photographed while serving as Commander, Fourth Fleet and Commander, South Atlantic, Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, circa 1942-1944.

There is something above, as well:

attachicon.gif1.JPG

Johnnyrocket and Stratasfan, that's an unusual photo as it appears to be more of an official photo where you would think he would have the ribbons in the correct order.

I agree . . .as well as with the painting. I am not finding that as one of his Brazilian awards, either!

I believe the black-and-white photo from Brazil shows the Order of the Southern Cross directly above the Medal of Honor. If you look closely you can see a device on it which will indicate the grand cross or knight commander level. It is also one of the three Brazilian orders he is a recipient of. The painting I believe might be the Brazilian Order if Naval Merit, the device obscuring the blue central stripe. Or the Order of Leopold II, as CINC Atlantic Fleet, with the incorrect color in the painting.