TAPS : Bob Queen USMC 1934 - 2019

Eric Queen

On July 4th, 2019 my family, the collecting community and, indeed the world, lost the greatest man I have ever known. My dad gave me the two greatest loves of my life. My love for history/collecting and my love of animals. Dad taught me that, if you ever want to truly understand if someone is a good person or not, if you want to see inside their soul, watch how they treat animals. That advise has never failed me.

Dad started collecting about the time he got out of the Marines in the mid 1950's (he was part of the Marine Detachment on board the USS Princeton during the Korean war). He collected German helmets and uniforms until the mid 1960's at which point he took a break from the hobby for a while. He took it back up again in the mid 1970's when he began his collection of WW1 USMC. At this time many of the WW1 veterans were still alive and dad spent countless hours talking with them about their experiences. He had at the time probably the largest WW1 USMC collection in the world and at least 90% of it came directly from the veterans or veterans families. By the late 1980's that well had pretty much run dry and he shifted direction and began collecting German ID books. In the nearly 30 years that followed he put together what I believe to be the best collection of German paratrooper documents in the world (or at least that I was aware of). Tragically, the entire collection along with the house and all its contents were lost in the November 2018 California Camp Fire.

I thought this would be easier to write than it is proving to be so I will keep it short. I know there may be some of you out there who knew day "in the old days" so, I simply wanted to let you know.

He left this earth as the July 4th firework displays were bursting in the night sky. He wouldn't have had it any other way.

Dad 1.jpg

Eric my deepest sympathy to you and your family. Although the collecting Community may have lost a legend, it sounds like his work as being a great father is one thing he will be most admired and remembered for. Wishing you well in carrying on his legacy as being an inspiration to those around you.

easterneagle87

I am sorry for your loss.

I live south of Redding and yesterday was exactly one year since the Carr fire devasted a part of Redding. The Carr fire preceded the Camp fire, but the Camp fire was much worse and made a ghost town out of the City of Paradise, CA.

Be well and God bless.

A very nice write up, Eric, and the pictures are great. Thank you for sharing them. As I told you earlier, my condolences to you for your loss.

Steve

Sorry to hear about your father's passing Eric. May he rest in peace. He's in God's precious hands now. My condolences to you and your family during this difficult time. He sounded like a wonderful and wise man. Take care...Matt

Eric my deepest condolences to you and your family. I know your fathers contributions to this hobby were significant and I am grateful to be the caretaker of a couple of those pieces. I know from your write up his memory will be preserved and cherished. Thanks for sharing and my thoughts and prayers are with you. Kevin

E

Very sorry to hear this.

I have read your postings about your father over the years and he was quite a special man.

Stay strong.

O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My heart goes out to you and your family. He was THE pioneer of WWI USMC collecting. God bless him. Please accept my sincerest condolences. Semper Fidelis

Rakkasan187

Eric,

Deepest condolences to you and your family.

Your father left a great legacy that you have continued within your own actions..

Blessings

Leigh

aerialbridge
"if you ever want to truly understand if someone is a good person or not, if you want to see inside their soul, watch how they treat animals. That advise has never failed me." That's all I need to know that your father was a wise and good man. In tribute to your father and his benevolent treatment of God's beasts.

post-18406-0-22674000-1564256342_thumb.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Sorry for your loss Eric, its hard to lose parents. Your description of your Father is touching and what a great role model which I hope we all aspire to be.

Kurt

So sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family that God's comforting hand be on you and your entire family.

Eric, I am sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like you were very close.

My father was also Korean era veteran. As a reservist, he served at the Marine Aircraft Depot at Cherry Point rebuilding shot up planes that were returned from theater. Your Dad's photo and uniform remind me of mine. They were all so young back then.

My best to you and your family.

BILL THE PATCH

My condolences to you family , and his quote about animals is spot on. Sounds like a really good dad.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk