WWII Ranger Collector From CA

ThomasTrain

ThomasTrain

Hi my name is Aaron, I'm new to the forum but have been a WWII militaria collector and researcher since I was young. My US collection focuses primarily on Darby's Rangers (1st, 3rd, 4th) and I try to buy anything related i can get my hands on. This passion for Darby's Rangers is because of my Great Grandfather Hank, a member of the 1st, 3rd, and 4th Ranger Battalions in WWII, who I was fortunate enough to grow up with. His stories about North Africa and the Mediterranean theaters keep me passionate about collecting and researching to this day. I've included a War Department interview he did after being one of the 198 Rangers selected to return home after Cisterna. I look forward to speaking and meeting the other Ranger collectors out there!

post-245288-0-72594800-1564184066_thumb.jpg

ThomasTrain

173rdlt, thanks hopefully we can connect and share share our collection some time.

#2173rdlt

MajorBonacelli

Welcome to the forum! I’m also quite fascinated with Ranger history, specifically the Battle of Gela in Sicily in 1943. Don’t have anything from the 1st or 4th Battalions yet but hope to change that soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Aaron. Greetings. I too have an interest in WW2 rangers. My ranger collection started with patches. I have managed to aquire only 2 good named ( 1st, 3rd and 4th) uniforms in 15 years. As your research must show many of 1st and 3rd rangers didn't make it back to the US after the battle of Cisterna. The 4th battalion tried to break through to them, but ran into armor and suffered many casualties. What remained of the 3 battalions came home to camp Butner in May of 1944. They were disbanded later in October 1944. This makes 1,3,and 4th ranger items very uncommon. It is hard to read the spelling of your great grandfather's name, but I suspect a misspelling. Here is a picture from the Darby's Ranger yearbook. Is this him?Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...

Hi, looking for anything on Darby's Rangers for a book I am writing - not collecting or anything like that - just information about individuals etc... I have tons of morning reports, AARs etc but would like more letters or unpublished memoirs - things like that.

Thank you