VMF114 on Ebay

mortaydc60

Saw this on eBay and was just wondering if it is period item or made for collector type?. Question because it does not look like any other posted on forum and material used is not usual. Item #193008425970

post-565-0-74812600-1564165845.jpg

post-565-0-93956300-1564165859.jpg

Some must think this is real because bidding is close to $700 on this patch. Any comments on if this authentic item or not. Thanks

BILL THE PATCH

Hey mort can you make the pics any large

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Was not able to enlarge but included item number for that reason and with price at that level now over 700 should be easy to find on eBay.

Mort, the item number is not correct. Also it is listed as VMF14. I am not a fan of the manufacture style of the patch. It does not look like the usual Australian embroidery.

The ebay link is https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-WW2-US-MARINES-PATCH-VMF-14-Fighter-Squadron-Death-Dealers-ORIGINAL-USMC/193008425070?hash=item2cf032d86e:g:euEAAOSwxgBdNlO-

Thanks for the help and getting the larger pics. sorry for error in item #. Agree not a fan and would like others to give opinion. This is from one of the Holy Grail collections. They had an extensive collection of great stuff but there were some clunkers in the mix also ,so be sure.

Here is a real one Australian made which the one that started this post is supposed to be.Scotty

2019-05-13_113620.jpg

Just realized I did not show the back.Old Age Scotty

resized_2019-05-13_113738 (1).jpg

I agree with Bill, the patch on eBay (see up close in Post #6-7) is not an authentic WWII issue. Adding to the fact an example like this has not before been seen, the style of manufacture for the period is suspect as well. I posted all known WWII varieties, here. During the war the unit was posted to two places: Green Island/Funafuti -March to May(?) 1944 and Peleliu September 1944 to June 1945. VMF-114 was thereafter based on MCAS Cherry Point until August, 1947.

VMF-114 was based in the Mediterranean, Jan-Jul, 1953. If one were to think the patch is legitimate perhaps it is from that period.

Yes it is. While that collection has had some nice pieces and several common ones, there have also been a number of reproductions and outright fakes. The eBay seller is not a collector with expertise; he simply is handling disposition for the family of the deceased collector. As always, caveat emptor.