M1 Front Seam Swiv bail Steel Pot with Camo - What and When?

Mr. Scratch

Mr. Scratch

I got this with a larger collection. Textured camo, sandy-colored. Is this good camo? If so, when/where was it applied?

Chinstraps look fairly new, maybe replacements. This was in a Korean War vet's estate if that helps.

post-3113-0-69192700-1564095898_thumb.jpg

ClaptonIsGod

Not sure if it is camo as much as it is multiple broken layers of paint. I have some late shells with a similar looking roughness and color, and the late model chin cup makes me think that this has paint from then too. The darker paint looks earlier, the late rough stuff did not seem to adhere too well in general so maybe it has broken off over time. Vet might have picked it up at a surplus store.

Mr. Scratch

It definitely has multiple layers, but the khaki sand coating seems to be intentionally spotched on there with intentional irregularity. The thick brush strokes.have a definite edge to them with less sign of chipping away, unlike on the earlier layers. There are large areas where there is absolutely no sign of that paint, even in the crevices. It definitely isn't the same standard apple-green sand paint that would come to be applied in the Vietnam-era.