USS Yankee Sampson Medal group to Jenner Fast

kanemono

Here is a group to Jenner Fast who was a Seaman on the USS Yankee. The group also includes his numbered copy of the history of the USS Yankee.

Seaman Jenner Roberts Fast, 2nd Division, First Battalion, Naval Militia, State of New York, Spanish American War, U.S.S. Yankee

Jenner Roberts Fast was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 7, 1877. He graduated from the Pittsburgh Public Schools in 1892. Fast served six years in the 2nd Division, First Battalion of the Naval Militia, State of New York. He was rated as a Seaman on the U.S.S. Yankee and served as a Signalman in the Navigator’s Division. The U.S.S. Yankee was originally built as the El Norteas. She was acquired by the United States Navy in 1898 and commissioned as an auxiliary cruiser. On May 29, 1898 Yankee put to sea with orders to join the fleet off Cuba. On June 6th Yankee dueled with shore batteries off Santiago. On June 7th she participated in a cable cutting incursion at Guantanamo Bay. While in company with the U.S.S. Marblehead, Yankee engaged two Spanish gunboats, Alvarado and Sandoval, putting them to flight. Yankee and Marblehead then silenced the fort at Caimanera. On June 13th Yankee engaged the Spanish gunboats Diego Velazquez and Lince, putting them both to flight. The Yankee engaged the Sanbanilla Shore Battery before returning to blockade duty off Cienfuegos. Fast was discharged from the New York Naval Militia in 1901. After the war he was employed by the Standard Oil Company until 1912 when he became a junior officer of a the Pipe Line Company which owned several companies involved in constructing pipe lines on the east coast. In 1922 he became secretary of those companies. During World War one Fast served as a member of the Home Guard. He died in Hillsdale, New Jersey on June 13, 1920.

post-9487-0-87215000-1564086524_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-62873800-1564086539_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-53624000-1564086547_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-52756400-1564086569.jpg

post-9487-0-52722900-1564086577.jpg

post-9487-0-77900300-1564086592_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-50212900-1564086603_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-41666200-1564086627_thumb.jpg

A beautiful group, Dick though I would expect nothing less from you! LOL Thanks for posting. Bob

Thank you. An interesting note about the USS Yankee book. The book was printed in 1928...Fast died in 1920. My guess is that the family bought the book and had his name lettered in calligraphy on the number page???

Fantastic group! I'm really starting to get the bug about finding a Sampson medal identified to a Hoosier. A couple of questions about the bars with the medal. Does each bar represent an action? How many different bars are there?

Also, I looked on line to find information on the book. There are a few dealers with this book, but yours is the only one that I saw that had the name inside. So I assume you are correct, the family had the name written after they purchased it as opposed to the publisher personalizing it. Once again, this is a wonderful group!

Fantastic group! I'm really starting to get the bug about finding a Sampson medal identified to a Hoosier. A couple of questions about the bars with the medal.  Does each bar represent an action?  How many different bars are there?  

Also, I looked on line to find information on the book.  There are a few dealers with this book, but yours is the only one that I saw that had the name inside.  So I assume you are correct, the family had the name written after they purchased it as opposed to the publisher personalizing it.  Once again, this is a wonderful group!

There is a bar for every eligible ship. The other bars are for engagements and it depends on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a bar for every eligible ship. The other bars are for engagements and it depends on the ship.

Thank you! Im back home now, so Ill dig out my copy of Call of Duty and read up on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aerialbridge

Beautiful group. Fast's family survivors seem to have been diligent in the years after his death in 1920 to see that he received what accolades might be available post mortem. Besides the 1928 book that you mentioned, the engraved NY City tabletop medal to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Span Am War would have been presented in 1923- 3 years after his death.

As I remember from Fast’s biography in the USS Yankee book he was from a prominent New Jersey family and was the Secretary to the Board of Directors of a major Railroad. The family must have been proud of his service.

Kurt Barickman

Dick,

To state that you have a great collection is like stating the sky is blue! Again, stellar grouping and presentation to say the least. Thanks for sharing.

Kurt

Brian Dentino

Dick,

To state that you have a great collection is like stating the sky is blue! Again, stellar grouping and presentation to say the least. Thanks for sharing.

Kurt

Dick, I can only echo what Kurt said! Another amazing grouping beautifully presented and photographed.