Women's Reserve Camouflage Corps - WWI Estate Find ID'ed Set

militaryoutfitter

militaryoutfitter

Some time ago I got art of an estate lot, related to Julius Sallee, 314th Engineer Captain in the AEF. In the second and final estate auction, his uniform was found...as well as his wife's uniform! His future wife (Mabel Hamilton Crawford) was in something I had never heard of EVER called the Reserve Women's Camouflage Corps...right? Bizarre! They are not in Jill Smith's books, to which I contributed, and only recently have gotten the notoriety they deserve. Drawn mostly from New York educated society, they designed and tested camo clothing, tree disguises, rock-like suits, paint jobs, colors, styles, and etc. in New York City parks and on the Rockefeller estate for the Army. This woman was a 1908 Columbia University of NY graduate (BS Fine Arts Teaching) and I cannot find another example of their uniform anywhere, only in period images.

Does anyone have info on other examples of this uniform having survived? Made by Abercrombie and Fitch (of course) it consists of a very long work coat and walking skirt, also working breeches (not shown with lots of small paint stains). The shirt and tie are my own additions.

post-22296-0-06655400-1564060816.jpg

militaryoutfitter

The shoulder patch, which does not show up in any of the images of the uniform being worn during the war. Same A&F material as the uniform, likely made by them as well.

post-22296-0-87804400-1564060898.jpg

militaryoutfitter

Some shots of the unit at work now, all online images. Sadly, no paperwork or photos came with the lot, but...you take what you can get.

post-22296-0-18288300-1564060942.jpg

militaryoutfitter

This is what started this whole thing...hearing of a very odd helmet in an estate auction...plus a crate full of gear, rations, supplies, etc., which they sellers thought was from WWII...! OK...I won it...and was locked in. It's been a fun ride! It belonged to Mabel's husband, Captain Julius Owes Sallee, 314th Engineers, 89th Division AEF. His uniform turned up at the same sale as hers, and I managed to get both.

post-22296-0-24274800-1564061340.jpg

Wow...what an incredibly scarce uniform. As I recall, there were only about 40 women who were in the Women's Reserve Camouflage Corps when created by the National League of Women's Services. They were all well-educated artists.

I have never seen an actual uniform. This is a real treat.

Oh, and a burlap-covered M1917? You hit the lotto-numbers today! Congrats!

Thank you SO much sharing your good fortune with us.

John

BILL THE PATCH

The collecting gods smiled on you, that's for sure.congrats. never heard of that unit.

Husband and wife very cool

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Unbelievably great find! Never heard of that Women's unit either. You've sure got your research tasks to attack. And that cloth-covered helmet - in that condition? REMARKABLE! I personally have never seen another. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the find. And post more pics! Bobgee

militaryoutfitter

Thanks for all the congratulations! 32 years a dealer, but from more obscure sources. I never liked stuff that other dealers had owned, or seen, I prefered items that were 'out of the woodwork' and unknown to the usual suspects. Not always easy, I made no big name for myself, but things like this sure to make the journey a sweet one! Again, thanks! This lot does beat the band, for sure.

• 1 year later...
WRCCResearcher

These photos are incredible, thank you for sharing! 

I'm working with a professor at the University of Maryland Baltimore County researching the Women's Reserve Camouflage Corps for the last year and a half, and they are a hard group to track down! For example, we have a list of about 24 members based on an old newspaper article that showcases the women camouflaging the USS Recruit, but Mabel Hamilton Crawford was unfortunately not included on that list, so we really appreciate having her name now thanks to your post. Is there any chance you happen to have any more information about these women? Or anything additional you can share about the uniform or the estate auction where you recovered these items? Thank you so much!

• 4 weeks later...
JMcCulloch

outstanding! I have seen one other uniform and there is a tonne of information/ paperwork on this unit atthe Brick Store Museum in Kennebunk, Maine. The museums’ founder was in the Camo. Corps. 

59BD5677-5164-4904-9192-8B2DD4C3B0A3.jpeg

CA551107-D803-45E2-8FDA-92E97E478A07.jpeg

WRCCResearcher

Thank you so much for sharing! Coincidentally, I was just at the Brick Store Museum on Thursday taking a closer look at Edith C. Barry's archive. What a phenomenal lady!

WRCCResearcher

Very awesome -- small world! Do you happen to recall which specific collection the certificate identifying ECB as a member of the WRCC came from? That's one document we didn't come across!

• 2 years later...
JMcCulloch

Did you ever get an answer? I took a two year trip to Texas and kind of forgot about this thread. 

The ECB ID card was part of Edith Berrys’ WW1 collection. Did you ask Kathryn Hussy?