My USMC collection

Peyton_Aukland41

Love the 4th MarDiv sea bag and the lower pack. I have a few pieces of 4th MarDiv unit marked gear.

Here is the sea bag in my collection. Do you know what the 5 inside the white circle represents?

post-7698-0-14344100-1581353641_thumb.jpg

Peyton_Aukland41

Love the 4th MarDiv sea bag and the lower pack. I have a few pieces of 4th MarDiv unit marked gear.

Here is the sea bag in my collection. Do you know what the 5 inside the white circle represents?

attachicon.gifTarzian 1.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. The seabag in my collection is actually UNIS marked to the 3rd Mardiv and the lower pack is marked to the 1st Mardiv. I do know that the 6th Mardiv used a circle for their UNIS markings but that one doesn't really match any other examples i've seen so i'd say it's either that or some kind of rank or a different kind of identifier.

• 11 months later...

I see your unis marked sea bag <602> guy was in Weapons Co./21st Marines, 3rd MarDiv. I've been trying to figure out the 3rd's unis marking pattern, but your 602 kind of throws me off. I have a 3rd Tank Battalion marked sea bag and it's <633>, so that kind of puts a kink in my theory that "6" was for the tank battalion. 

• 7 months later...
BRO&USMC
On 1/18/2021 at 1:38 AM, Stony said:

I see your unis marked sea bag <602> guy was in Weapons Co./21st Marines, 3rd MarDiv. I've been trying to figure out the 3rd's unis marking pattern, but your 602 kind of throws me off. I have a 3rd Tank Battalion marked sea bag and it's <633>, so that kind of puts a kink in my theory that "6" was for the tank battalion. 

Stone, 

Maybe it's a Korean War era 2nd MarDiv UNIS. His guy was in Anti Tank Co., 2d Marines during early 50's. As far I know, the 2d MarDiv used horizontal diamond as UNIS in post-war era. I have a Knapsack with a <634> named to a Marine who was with H/2/2d MarDiv in 1951 before he went to Korea with the 1st MarDiv. My guess now is that <600> serie was for the 2d Marines in post-war. 

I'm also starting to creat an Excel for the 3rd MarDiv UNIs, I hope we will be able to find out all the numbers! After I will start 6th Div UNIS. I had a look about marking system of the 6th Tank Battalion on Okinawa and for now my guess is that any of the 3 companies has used one geometrical figure (for exemple A Co. has triangle, B Co. has circle and C Co; has square). Trying to fix that with Action Report and Combat Footage to determined which Tank Company has which figure. 

Regards,
Al

6 hours ago, BRO&amp;USMC said:

Stone, 

Maybe it's a Korean War era 2nd MarDiv UNIS. His guy was in Anti Tank Co., 2d Marines during early 50's. As far I know, the 2d MarDiv used horizontal diamond as UNIS in post-war era. I have a Knapsack with a <634> named to a Marine who was with H/2/2d MarDiv in 1951 before he went to Korea with the 1st MarDiv. My guess now is that <600> serie was for the 2d Marines in post-war. 

I'm also starting to creat an Excel for the 3rd MarDiv UNIs, I hope we will be able to find out all the numbers! After I will start 6th Div UNIS. I had a look about marking system of the 6th Tank Battalion on Okinawa and for now my guess is that any of the 3 companies has used one geometrical figure (for exemple A Co. has triangle, B Co. has circle and C Co; has square). Trying to fix that with Action Report and Combat Footage to determined which Tank Company has which figure. 

Regards,
Al

Al,

From my experience, the horizontal diamond post war was the 1st MarDiv. In your statement I quoted on this reply, you Marine was in the 1st MarDiv, so he probably had the knapsack from that assignment. 

Cheers,

Stony

On 7/24/2019 at 11:17 PM, Peyton_Aukland41 said:

After a year and a half of collecting here is where I currently stand with my collection. I'd love to have more but with college starting this year, buying is at a standstill. However, I am very proud of what I have acquired over the last year! If you want specific info on any of the pieces please let me know and I'll post it. Thanks for looking!

post-176066-0-75458200-1564024588_thumb.jpg

How do you do your research? I have WWI dog tags and am trying to get info on the wearer. 

Frank, Martin

USA

0213C912-727D-45A9-B245-4CAC28EAB22B.jpeg

EC460450-31D9-45E6-B88F-08FEAC261B98.jpeg

BRO&USMC
On 8/19/2021 at 7:03 AM, Stony said:

Al,

From my experience, the horizontal diamond post war was the 1st MarDiv. In your statement I quoted on this reply, you Marine was in the 1st MarDiv, so he probably had the knapsack from that assignment. 

Cheers,

Stony

Stony, 

After review, it seems that you are correct! I can send you a picture of my UNIS from this knapsack if you want to take a look at. 

Regards, 

Al