Depot Made pack flea market find

David D

I've been going to the flea market pretty regularly this past summer, mostly for vintage automotive/gas and oil pieces as that is one of my new interests but this pack i found last week definitely gave me the military collecting bug again. I took some advice I got from a local collector who frequents the same flea market as me to get their as early as possible, and I did and caught someone taking this pack out of their van. I asked them about it and they wanted a very fair price for it so I brought it home thinking nothing of it then I posted it on the forums Facebook page on the off chance the name brings something back; and it really did. With the help on some people online I was able to find out this pack was owned by a member of the First Marine Division who was WIA on Guadalcanal in 1942. William F Hagan joined the Marine Corps about a year before the war started and stayed in until 1950. His service during WWII besides Guadalcanal consisted of mostly stateside and rear echelon type duty for the remainder of the war, from what I can tell at least.

Hope this is as interesting to you guys as it was for me.

post-151093-0-32958900-1563824856_thumb.jpg

post-151093-0-96283500-1563824832_thumb.jpg

the rings remind me of the old boy scout Yuka packs

when I was in scouting as a youth, most of our web gear was ww2 from the marine corps base that was part of our troop

keep that pack forever !

semper fi