Major General Bryant E. Moore - WWII, Identify Foreign Awards

tsakers85

I recently purchased a uniform that belonged to Major General Bryant E. Moore and I am trying to identify three foreign awards for a replacement ribbon bar. I have a pretty good black and white photo and based on known ribbon colours, I believe the three might be the Order of the Bath, the Legion of Honour, and the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus (based on the crowns).

I've requested Moore's official bio from the Center of Military History. However, they recently deleted their online index of these and I am uncertain if they will even continue providing bios. The bio may, or may not, list the foreign awards.

Anyone want to provide some opinions on what the three ribbons may be? Do any other foreign awards include crown devices?

post-10442-0-86565600-1563807764_thumb.jpg

Another is France Legion of honor, Chevalier, Belgium order of Leopold I, Chevalier and I agree with Italy.

Another version: Belgium order of the crown, Belgium order of Leopold I and Italy.

But yours isn't so bad either.

4starchris

Another is France Legion of honor, Chevalier, Belgium order of Leopold I, Chevalier and I agree with Italy.

Another version: Belgium order of the crown, Belgium order of Leopold I and Italy.

But yours isn't so bad either.

4starchris

I totally forgot about the Belgian Order of Leopold and it's ribbon being nearly the color of a Legion of Merit. Moore was Asst. Div. Commander of the 104th Infantry Division beginning in 1943 and went through Belgium with them.

I bet the order is the French Legion of Honour, followed by the Belgian Order of Leopold.

I am glad I could help. The only concern for entertaining either of those it it appears it was awarded a the chevalier level. I see no sign of a prior rosette attachment. Just food for thought.

4starchris

I am glad I could help. The only concern for entertaining either of those it it appears it was awarded a the chevalier level. I see no sign of a prior rosette attachment. Just food for thought.

4starchris

That makes me curious about the lack of rosettes. Is it possible that rosettes weren't available when the ribbon bars were made?

I ask, because I have seen an instance of this with the ribbons of Major General William S. Key during WWII. Key was awarded the Icelandic Order of the Falcon, Grand Knight's Cross with Star. In photographs of him with that ribbon on, instead of a rosette is a star device.

I have access to 104th ID reference material, is his uniform post WWII? Id be happy to take a look and see if his awards are mentioned in my resources.

Well the Army actually sent the official bio yesterday and it listed foreign awards! The bottom row is the French Legion of Honour (Chevalier), Italian War Merit Cross (appears to be the 1943 ribbon), and the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus.

Great now we know exactly. The Italian war cross would have been a hard choice from the pic though. Glad you were able to get it.

4starchris