Large Enlisted Dress Droop Wing EGA (OROID / H&H)

Fly USMC

Fore some reason a previous owner put his initials on the EGA, Brass washer, and retaining nut

post-5056-0-44287400-1563769664.jpg

Beauty...don't know what RW was worried about, these were immensely unpopular and the risk of theft was probably pretty low

Beauty...don't know what RW was worried about, these were immensely unpopular and the risk of theft was probably pretty low

You'd be surprised, Brig. My Dad was issued the collar droop wings and regular large emblem with horizontal and vertical lines in 1936. He wore them long after the 1937 model came out. One day he had his green blouse and barracks cover hanging on a hanger in an office, and some other Marine stole them. I still have the extra collar one for the overseas cap, and both of his dress collar emblems. Anyway, yes, these things did get stolen. Same with the flat edge field scarves. Same thing. Again, my Dad told me and after they were no longer issued, yet allowed to be worn, when they were sent to the cleaners, they often didn't return.

Steve

• 6 months later...

I'm refreshing this old thread to post two variations of this bird; there's probably more but these are the two most "common" versions of this uncommon device...

post-158761-0-63746700-1580060744_thumb.jpg

post-158761-0-25283700-1580060759_thumb.jpg

The unmarked version has more detail in terms of the eagle's head and body, and includes Cuba on the globe. These are really nice devices to find "in the wild", and my favorite style.

s/f Robert